1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Bulgarian: marigold

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by seitt, Sep 9, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Please, how do you say 'marigold'?

I'm interested because I gather that the name Неве́на is derived from it. Please give stress.

Best

Simon

2. lavverats Junior Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Hi Simon,
    If you mean this flower, than it's called "невен"(neven):
    504.jpg

And, yes, the name "Невена" (a female name in Bulgaria) is derived from it.
    Regards,

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - btw, what is the gender of невен?

4. lavverats Junior Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Masculine.:)

5. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    Additional information:
    невѐн (less often: нѐвен) (masculine) — marigold.
    Невѐн (less often: Нѐвен) (masculine) — a male given name.
    Невѐна (feminine) — a female given name.
    Etymology: цвете, което не вехне = a flower which does not wilt

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Wow, how fascinating! So the verb is вехна, then. Interesting how it lost the Х.

7. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    Elision is pretty common in informal spoken Bulgarian, perhaps even more so than in English. (I hope I'm not misleading you about the latter, but at least that's how it seems to me.) Moreover, it's something of a feature in a lot of dialects, slang and so forth. For example, people often say things like «Айде!» and «Ма̀ни се оттука!» (instead of хайде, махнѝ).

8. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    /x/ is indeed a rather volatile phoneme in Serbia, Macedonia and western Bulgaria. However, in the case of вехне, one could argue that /x/ is a reintroduction encountered in Bulgarian (and Bosnian) -- the verb is Common Slavic which (if I remember well) didn't have that phoeme:

http://hjp.novi-liber.hr/index.php?show=search_by_id&id=f19uWxR9&keyword=venuti
    The flower is also neven in BCS, by the way, and we also have male name Neven and female Nevena.

9. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    You could be onto something here, Duya. I didn't consider вянуть at all. I must confess I haven't a clue about the origin of this inserted /x/. Now that you've got me thinking, it seems to me that вехна could be some weird contamination between вѧнѫти and съхнѫти, but this is, of course, pure guesswork on my part, so I'll stop while it's still safe. The main thing is, though, that невехн sounds outright stupid and is also quite difficult to pronounce, therefore I can't imagine it as a proper Bulgarian word, regardless of the presence/absence of the phoneme /x/ in вехна.

10. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Those were my thoughts exactly ;)