Bulgarian: Renarrative Mood

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Kartof, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    I've read competing claims on what the renarrative/dubious mood in Bulgarian really is. Some sources say it's its own mood and others claim it's just a stylistic variation. Most of the sources I've read state that the renarrative is the use of the bare -л verb form, i.e. without the copula "е" or "са" in the third person. However, I did find a source, in fact the very source that claims it's a stylistic variation, that states the renarrative is the use of the copula and the indicative is the lack of the copula. Is the renarrative mood present in other Slavic languages? For anyone familiar with the renarrative, do you view it as a separate mood or as something else?
  2. Gnoj Senior Member

We have it as well. But unlike Bulgarian, we don't use "е" or "се" in the third person.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    How is the mood expressed then? In Bulgarian the distinction is made by dropping the copula. Would it be done in Macedonian by dropping "има" and "имаат"?
  4. Gnoj Senior Member

No, "има" is equivalent to what "have" and "has" are in past participle tense in English: I have waited for many times = Имам чекано многу пати. Or alternatively "Сум чекал многу пати" of course, which in third person would be "Чекал многу пати" (no copula as I said). Only context makes the distinction with other meanings that "чекал многу пати" can also have.
  5. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    In Macedonian it's not usually considered a mood in its own right in grammars even though it can be used across the past tenses, and present and future tenses.

Instead, grammars prefer to treat it as a special category: прекажаност ('renarrativity').
  6. lordwings Member

The renarrative mood is used for saying something that has happened in time ago, but the person who is talking about it is not a witness of it. It uses the past participle tense of copula "съм" (бил,била,било,били) in third person plus the verb with л,ил ending for masculine and ла for masculine. Using past tense instead of it when talking about things that the speaker is not sure about and is not witness of is considered rough and haughtily. It is often mistaken by not native speakers also in understanding, for they do understand the conversation don in this mood as a fact or even a promise. Copula in third person might be omitted and might be used as well, for example "бил ял" (he has been eating) and "бил е ял"(he has eaten) or even "ял е" (/I see,he told me/ he has eaten) note that the meaning of these phrases might be slightly different in depending to the context the phrases are used in.