Bunch of odds and ends....???

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rich7, Nov 20, 2006.

1. rich7 Senior Member

caracas
    Venezuela español
    If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

This is a joke I just read and cannot get the gist of it, can you help me grasp the deal here? pls

2. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    Hi,
    it's hard to grasp if we don't have the punchline. Context, please.

3. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    Yes - there is a bit missing here, we need to know what the answer is to explain the joke!

4. rich7 Senior Member

caracas
    Venezuela español
    Here's the whole joke then: If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it ? if teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? if a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

And that's it, can you get it now? cuz I can't....

5. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    I don't think there is a punchline, fellows. This seems to be that typical kind of surrealist humor that takes old idiomatic expressions and applies logic to them. Odds and ends simply means miscellaneous items. The joke is that what do you call the last item...an odd or an end? That is the joke. No punchline. It's not particularly funny either, in my opinion. Sounds like something I might have heard in middle school. Humantarians must eat humans, right?!? Har har har

6. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    Right. I've heard this one before and can confirm that there's no more to it (and that it's not the epitome of good humor).