Buonanotte vs. buonasera

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Londoner06, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Londoner06

Londoner06 Senior Member

London, UK
    US/English, Spanish
    Ciao amici,

When leaving for the night, from a restaurant or a party, etc., is it OK to say buonanotte? One book I have studied says about buonanotte that, "it means 'good night' and is used to say goodbye at night, really wishing someone a good night's sleep." So...

Buonasera = Good evening? used when one arrives, and

Buonanotte = Good night? used when one leaves for the night from a restaurant or a party, etc.

Grazie mille per il suo aiuto!

Alessandro

2. Nicholas the Italian Senior Member

Belluno
    Italian
    Mm yes, it implies that you or the person you are saluting is going (or should be going) to sleep.
    Unless it's 5 a.m. and you are leaving the disco :rolleyes: , it's better to say "arrivederci" or "buona serata" (that is not the same as "buona sera"; it is a goodbye and means "passate una buona serata", just like "buona giornata" means "passate una buona giornata" while "buon giorno" is "good morning/afternoon").

You are addressing more than one person, and if you were addressing one, there's no need to be formal here, so "tuo" would be ok. ;)

Hope this helps.

3. venice Senior Member

Venezia-Mestre
    italiano
    Hi,
    in Italy we say
    Buonasera= Good evening when one arrives and
    Buonasera = good evening also when one leaves
    Buonanotte = good night . It is used sometimes when it's very late and mainly in the meaning of "have a nice sleep" and when you are on familiar terms.Bye!

4. Londoner06

Londoner06 Senior Member

London, UK
    US/English, Spanish
    Tante grazie Nicholas e "buona serata".;)

Alessandro

5. Bread2

Bread2 Junior Member

USA
    English -US
    Hi guys, I was on xxx the other day, and I noticed a lot of Spanish/Portuguese native speakers get confused about this, and I wasn't sure about it myself at the time, but I dont' think one ever use "Buonanotte" to say hello, is that correct? I've always thought it means "goodbye" when you say it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. giginho

giginho Senior Member

Svizzera / Torino
    Italiano & Piemontese
    You're right: none will use "buona notte" to say hello. No way to use it while you're getting into a pub even if it's one o' clock in the morning. By my point of view, buona notte is a way to greet goodbye someone after a night spent together (not in THAT sense!!!! ;) ). Example: you and your friends get out the pub at 3 o' clock and while each of you is going his/her way you can greet: "ciao Henry/Eugene/Irving/Brutus, buona notte!". You can say just "buona notte" if you're in the kitchen (for example) and you say you're wife: "(vado a letto... optionale) buona notte!".

Is it clear?

7. Bread2

Bread2 Junior Member

USA
    English -US
    Yes, thanks giginho, it's just like in English where goodnight always means goodbye then, glad to clear that up :D

8. giginho

giginho Senior Member

Svizzera / Torino
    Italiano & Piemontese
    You're very welcome!