Burası/Şurası/Orası

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by FlyingBird, Jun 26, 2013.

1. FlyingBird Senior Member

Makedonca
    Hello

Please,can you explain me what suffix 'sı' mean in those words: bura,şura and orası?

Really don't understand it

Thank you in advance :)

2. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    I think it means something like "its/his/her own". I think it's got the same meaning when you say ora, şura, bura.

3. Bespelled Junior Member

Romanian / Moldova
    Burası/orası/şurası has two meanings:

1 - "this/that part of it"
    example: Burası temizlendi / Eteğin burası temizlendi = This part of it was cleaned / This part of the skirt (this area here) was cleaned.

The construction is bura (this place) + ı (partitive suffix - indicates that we are talking about a part or a portion of "bura") = burası ("s" is a phonetic connector like "s" in "Ali'nin arabası") .

2 - The second and much more common meaning of "burası/orası/şurası" is simply "this/that place", like "bura/ora/şura". The difference from the latter is that a word like "bura/şura/ora" without a suffix has a very strong connotation as referring to a region of indefinite boundaries around an abstract point in space (you will very rarely see "bura..." without a suffix used anywhere, they just provide the root for such words as "burada, oradan, şuraya etc.)). When one talks about "this place/that place" one mentally separates it in some way from its surroundings, and my guess is that this is exactly what the "-ı" in "burası" indicates.

"Burası hastane" - This place is a hospital.
    "Orası neresi?" - "What is that place?"

My advice: don't worry to much about the logic behind this particular suffix - it is a very special case with many potential explanations.

4. kyanos

kyanos New Member

London
    English
    To communicate in a more particular place and sense of location then as in English we have to be more precise. This precision in Turkish is accomplished by using the suffix -i or -si ; in other words ‘ its ‘. By adding this suffix it becomes more precise in the Turkish Language.

Just to add; this would therefore mean - burasi - right here, surasi - right there and orasi - right over there...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013