but-toned-down [end-of-line hyphenation]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by perpend, Jan 21, 2013.

1. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    The link you specify says:

Of course, owning yourself requires also owning your sexuality. It's possible that only in making a very public proclamation about her orientation could Foster finally begin to let her quirks peek out from behind that buttoned-down persona.

Presumably, you saw it in the Trib's print-version news columns which are the product of automated hyphenation and justification (H&J in trade parlance.) This occurs after it leaves the editorial process. Moreover, it apparently was written by a Los Angeles Times writer - not the Trib's - and syndicated (or shared, since both newspapers are owned by the same company these days).

I don't see it (a single-teed 'but') as a problem for most people, but if it is, I would just call it "unfortunate automated hyphenation."

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    What bad hyphenation? That, according to the American Heritage Dictionary, is the correct hyphenation of the word.
  4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Okay, Thanks sd. "H&J" helps me further.

Yes, this was the printed, physical version Chicago Tribune. Some people still read news on paper. :)

"unfortunate automated hyphenated" is also helpful.

I do understand that it's correct, Parla, I was just thinking that the automated hyphenation might have a function that would catch this particular hyphenation as unfortunate.
  5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    I'm thinking this might be worse:

... peek out from behind that butt-
    oned-down persona.
  6. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I get it, Copyright (true spelling of "butt"), but I don't know which is worse.

1) but-toned-down
    2) butt-oned-down

1) makes me think of butt exercises
    2) makes me think you lost a butt size

After typing that, it's oddly related.

Again, I think it was a very unfortunate automated hyphenation
  7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Your example reminds me of a "perils of hyphenation" story told by Keith Bradford in another thread, perpend:
    That still makes me laugh!:D
  8. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Burst out laughing, just now. Thanks, Loob. It's all the same topic. :)

I like "perils of hyphenation", btw* (*from you or Keith). Cheers
  9. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    It all depends upon how "anal-retentive" the person configuring the hyphenation dictionary might be. :rolleyes:
  10. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    The Chicago Tribune example is particularly bad, ignoring as it does the rule that you shouldn't split an already-hyphenated word (unless at the hyphen). I'd call this a misplaced hyphen. (I'd also call it bad editorship.)
  11. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Thanks, Keith, for the additional terminology. I also found it pretty bad.

That is a funny joke, sd, about the person "behind" the hyphenations, dictionary. I almost wonder if anyone is behind it. :) (In other words, it's just a computer program.)