1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

butterflies in my stomach

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by cameroncameron, Jun 25, 2013.

1. cameroncameron Junior Member

English (UK)
    I was wondering if the concept of having "butterflies in the stomach" (meaning to be nervous, often related to romance) exists in Korean?
    I'm writing a story and a Korean character who is learning English mentions that she likes the expression. It wouldn't really make sense for her to remark upon this if the same or a very similar expression existed in her own language, so I wanted to check.
    감사합니다 !
  2. Kross

Kross Senior Member

I guess we don’t have that kind of concept in Korean and our culture although some Koreans know the idiom very well due to the English influence. We hardly use both insects and an organ at the same time to express feelings. We generally use these expressions to express the romantic nervousness, for example, ‘My heart is beating so fast.’, ‘Cold sweats are running down the back.’, ‘I have sweat-soaked hands’ and so forth.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  3. cameroncameron Junior Member

English (UK)
    Great, that's really helpful. Thanks very much!