by, in, out of, for every 100

Discussion in 'English Only' started by VikNikSor, Aug 1, 2013.

1. VikNikSor

VikNikSor Senior Member

Russian
    percent, per cent
    adverb
    for or out of every 100, shown by the symbol %
    CALD

per cent
    by, in or for every hundred
    OALD

These two definitions of 'per cent' from two dictionaries are unclear to me. Of course, I know what the 'percent' means. I don't understand these two definitions only.
    What does 'every 100' mean? What do the prepositions before it mean?

Thank you.

2. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    You have 100 balls. 99 balls are blue and 1 is red. 1 out of 100 balls is red.
    You have 200 balls. 198 balls are blue and 2 are red. 2 balls out of 200 balls are red.
    Put those balls into two groups of 100 such that the colors are evenly distributed in each group. 1 ball out of the first 100 balls is red. 1 ball out of the second 100 balls is read. 1 ball out of every 100 balls is red. For every 100 balls, 1 ball is red. 1 in every 100 balls is red.

3. VikNikSor

VikNikSor Senior Member

Russian
    Oh, I see:)
    But I can't imagine "by every hundred":confused:

4. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    If you have multiples of 100 items (for example Myridon's balls ;)) and 5% of them are blue. That means 5 percent / 5 in 100 / 5 out of each (set of/group of) 100 / 5 out of every (set of or group of) 100 balls are blue.

5. VikNikSor

VikNikSor Senior Member

Russian
    You've misunderstood me. I wanted to say that I didn't understand the preposition "by".:)

6. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    When something increases by 1% it increases by one for every hundred present. If there are 5 hundreds present, the increase is 5, one for every 100 present.

7. VikNikSor

VikNikSor Senior Member

Russian
    Thank you everyone.