by the end of month

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sunsail, Jul 29, 2009.

1. sunsail Senior Member

istanbul
    de langue Turc
    Hello
    Is this correct? I am planning to leave and return at the end of month and I say

"I will be back by the end of month"

Best Regards

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    "By" the end of the month is not the same as "at" the end of the month. The first means before the month has ended (of course, this might end up being the end of the month, but it doesn't have to be, it could be the middle, or even the beginning of the month in an extreme case). At the end of the month means in the final days of the month, so it is much more restrictive.

In other words, "by" means before a limit, and "at" means a particular time.

3. sunsail Senior Member

istanbul
    de langue Turc
    Thanks that's what I intended to.

4. wanabee Senior Member

Japanese
    Hi,
    I read this advice as saying that "at the end of the month" could mean either "in the final days of the month" or "on the final day of the month".

So I created the following sentences, and I would like to hear native speakers' comments in relation to these.
    1. My driver's license expires at the end of the month. (= on the final day of the month)
    2. I heard his birthday is at the end of June but don't know exactly which day it is. (= in the final days of the month)

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Both of your sentences are fine, Wannabee.

P.S. to Sunsail: Note that it's "end of the month".

6. wanabee Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you very much, Parla.

I'm very glad to get your confirmation, and at the same time I'm rather disappointed that I wasn't aware of the ambiguity "at the end of the month" has.
    So you need to decide the meaning of "at the end of the month" by relying on the context.
    I think "around the end of the month" would be much clearer and never mislead the listener, if you meant "in the final days of the month".

I would appreciate any comments about that.

7. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    "Around the end of the month" means that you may return at the beginning of the following month. December 1 and 2 are "around" Nov. 30.

8. wanabee Senior Member

Japanese
    I fully understand what you say, Egmont...
    Thank you very much.
    I'll open a new thread to continue new questions. This thread is simply titled "by the end of month". :)