by the same token

Discussion in 'English Only' started by anitax, Apr 8, 2006.

1. anitax Junior Member

Polish
    Dear all,

what does 'by the same token' mean?

An example of use:

It is true that it takes a long time before customers really take the step to switch providers. They don’t do that easily; otherwise we would have grown much faster in every country in the first year of operation.
    By the same token, we do our utmost to build a lasting relationship with our customers.

Thanks
    A.

2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    By the same token should be used to mean by the same argument, also on the basis of the analysis presented, for the same reason(s). It is often used as a meaningless introduction to another conclusion.

Is your example a sensible use of the phrase? Perhaps:)
    There is a statement of cause
    It is true that it takes a long time before customers really take the step to switch providers. They don’t do that easily;

There is a statement that confirms the validity of the first statement.
    otherwise we would have grown much faster in every country in the first year of operation.

There is a statement of our action in response to the cause.
    we do our utmost to build a lasting relationship with our customers.

I am not sure that there is a relationship here that justifies the use of by the same token.

I have a colleague who uses this phrase all the time, but I have never heard anyone else use it, and I am convinced he uses it without thought.

3. dbelle4500 Senior Member

It means "for the same reason" or "similiarly".

4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Or "thinking along the same lines." (At least that's how it's used a lot; Panj is probably right in saying that that differs from what the phrase is supposed to mean!)

5. anitax Junior Member

Polish
    Thanks. I had the same doubts. Maybe it's the colleague of Panj who wrote that article

6. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    We work hard to persuade people to switch providers. By the same taken, we work hard to keep the customers we have. (This is how I interpret your example.)