by the seventh unexcused absence

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by ic/ego, May 2, 2007.

1. ic/ego Junior Member

English-US
    I’m not sure how to deal with two parts of the following paragraph (which comes from a letter intended for parents of elementary school students):

In accordance with RCW 28A.225.030 the school district must file a petition with the Superior court, Juvenile Division, by the seventh (7th) unexcused absence in a month or the tenth (10th) unexcused absence in a school year. // Parents may be fined up to $25.00 for each unexcused absence if the court finds them in violation of the law. Students can be sentenced to seven (7) days in a detention facility for each unexcused absence. This information must be provided to you in accordance with RCW 28A.225.020.

The literal way of saying the first part I’m unsure on would be: para la séptima (7ª) ausencia no autorizada en un mes o la décima (10ª) ausencia no autorizada en un año escolar.

The literal way of saying the second part would be: Los padres pueden ser multados con hasta $25.00....

Maybe I’m making this too hard, but do these sound ok? My ear doesn’t help me here.

Thanks so much for any help.

2. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    De acuerdo. Me parece bien.

3. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Hi,

...a la séptima/sétima (7ª) inasistencia no justificada en un mes o a la décima (10ª) inasistencia no justificada en un año escolar.

...los padres pueden ser multados hasta con $25.00...

Regards,

4. ic/ego Junior Member

English-US
    Thank you both for your assistance.