1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

by way of example and without any limitation

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by fer1975, Sep 21, 2009.

1. fer1975 Senior Member

Vilnius, Lithuania
    Italy, Italian
    Hi, I do not understnd the construction of this sentence: The Attorneys shall have the amplest powers including, by way of example and without any limitation, those of filing proofs of claims, oppositions, challenges and revocations...

My attempt:
    I “Legali” potranno esercitare i più ampi poteri, incluso, a titolo di esempio e senza alcuna restrizione, quelli di depositare le prove documentarie di credito, opposizioni, ricusazioni e revoche...

I do not understand the link between "by way of example" and "without any limitation".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

: law
  2. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    The translation looks fine. Looks like you've already understood the meaning!
    It means: "This is just one example, it's not the only possibility, and therefore mentioning this example is not intended to limit other examples which are, perhaps, different in nature. There is no implied restriction on the range of other, possible forms of powers."
    That's my understanding, anyway.

3. fer1975 Senior Member

Vilnius, Lithuania
    Italy, Italian
    Thanks Gavin.
    I actually understood that "without any limitation" referred to the fact that the attorneys could exert their powers without any restriction/limitation.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  4. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    Hmm, I think that boils down to the same thing (si riduce allo stesso concetto di base)!.

5. fer1975 Senior Member

Vilnius, Lithuania
    Italy, Italian
    Hi Gavin, what I mean is that "without any limitation" does not refer to the range of powers as you suggested but to each single power which can be fully exerted by the attorneys, that's say "without any limitation".
    I still have this big doubt:(