Cámara de rollo / roll camera?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by weirdspirit, Jun 30, 2009.

1. weirdspirit Junior Member

Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    Hi guys, how do you say "cámara de rollo"? maybe roll camera? I hope so... thanks!

2. Carolina509

Carolina509 Senior Member

Illinois
    English-USA
    Is that a roll of film? We don't say "roll camera"

3. weirdspirit Junior Member

Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    Then how? I'm talking about the cameras that contain something... I don't know how to explain so. They're not digital cameras, they're more like the cameras photographers have.

4. frankd14612 New Member

English-New York City
    The correct way to say "a camera that uses roll film" (or roll-film) is "a roll film camera" or "a roll-film camera." Of course, this type of camera will soon be replaced by the digital camera, which uses no film.

La forma correcta de decir "a camera that uses roll film" (o roll-film) es "a roll film camera" o "a roll-film camera". Por supuesto, este tipo de cámara de pronto se sustituye por la cámara digital, que no utiliza película.

Frank D

5. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    I'm old enough to remember that we used "film camera" to refer to cameras that used rolls of film to take pictures.

In those days, we just said "camera".:eek::D

6. frankd14612 New Member

English-New York City
    I remember that there used to be "wet plate," "dry plate" and "cut film" cameras. I used the latter when I started in photography in 1954. How times have changed!

Recuerdo que hubieron cámaras de "placa húmeda", "placa seca" y "película cortada." He utilizado este último cuando se inició en la fotografía en 1954. ¡Cómo han cambiado los tiempos!

Frank D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  7. weirdspirit Junior Member

Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    Thank you guys!!! then my dad owns a roll-film camera now! haha.