cátedra extraordinaria

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by cordeliacork, Jan 17, 2013.

1. cordeliacork New Member

English-England
    Como se traduce esta frase en inglés? El contexto es "las actividades de la cátedra extraordinaria Benito Juárez" - hablando de las actividades en una universidad. Gracias a alguien que pueda ayudarme!

How do you translate this phrase into English? the context is "las actividades de la cátedra extraordinaria Benito Juárez" - it's talking about the activities in a university. I've really no idea what it means. Thanks for the help!

2. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

Chicago
    English, USA
    Hello. My attempt:

"... the actions of the outstanding/extraordinary, etc. chairman/chair/head of the department, etc. B. Juarez"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. ashushenya Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    spanish and catalan
    Hi, I slightly disagree, I don't think "actividades de la cátedra extraordinaria Benito Juárez" could be translated as "actions".
    I'll explain myself: I wrote "cátedra extraordinaria" in google to look for a "professorship" and what their subject of study was and I found a "cátedra extraordinaria de bebidas fermentadas" from the Universidad Complutense of Madrid. Within the framework of this "professorship" or "cátedra" they organize "actividades" like the IV Jornada científica-taller sobre Bebidas fermentadas y salud. So I'm not sure if "cátedra extraordinaria" could be translated as "extraordinary professorship" but I think "actividades" definetely means literally "activities" or "events" etc.

I hope it helped in any way!

4. ashushenya Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    spanish and catalan
  5. cordeliacork New Member

English-England
    "Extraordinary" sounds wrong to describe a professorship, I'm sure we wouldn't say that in English. Is there any set phrase that this translates to?