1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

C'è la possibilità abbastanza concreta che io crepi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by dee20002, Aug 27, 2004.

1. dee20002 Junior Member

USA-English
    Ecco la mia giallo per la giornata (trying to say here is my mystery for the day--any suggestions and corrections on the above Italian also appreciated):

"C'è la possibilità abbastanza concreta che io crepi."

This was in the story about the Italian journalist who was killed. I can't figure out "crepi" here. I translate the sentence as: "There is the substantial possibility that I --what--kick the bucket?" That's what I got from the dictionary."

Aiuto will be appreciated.
    Ciao,
    Dee

2. Gufo New Member

Italy/Italian
    Hi Dee,

I don't know if "kick the bucket" has any meaning a part from the literal one.

In the sentence you read the word "crepi" is first person present conjunctive for the verb "crepare" which is a informal way of saying "morire".

I think a better translation would be: "There is the substantial possibility that I die".

As far as the first sentence is concerned I would say something like: "Ecco il mio giallo del giorno" or "Ecco la mia domanda del giorno"

Any correction to my English (... and, of course, my Italian) in pretty much welcome!

Ciao!
    Alberto

3. dee20002 Junior Member

USA-English
    Alberto--grazie mille!

4. Luigi M. New Member

Zürich, Switzerland
    Italy / Italian
    beware!
    "crepare" is a very, very coarse way to mean "to die"

5. dee20002 Junior Member

USA-English
    Luigi,
    The quote I gave above was directly from La Repubblica -- if it's very coarse, was the paper just being very coarse or do you believe they meant something different, or suggested a different nuance?
    Grazie

6. Luigi M. New Member

Zürich, Switzerland
    Italy / Italian
    Dee

"C'è la possibilità abbastanza concreta che io crepi." is referred to oneself. So, using this coarse expression, it sounds as if this journalist did not care - in a sort of macho attidude - if he was going to die.

7. dee20002 Junior Member

USA-English
    Luigi, I still don't quite get it. This is the journalist who was just killed in Iraq. It would not seem they would quote him sounding macho and not caring.---?

Alberto, you asked about English -- "Kick the bucket" is a slang English expression for dying. Don't know where it came from or how it has come to mean this.

8. mijochelle Junior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    Australia, English
    "There's a fairly certain possibility that I may kick the bucket" or even "It's fairly certain that I will kick the bucket"

The second option isn't strictly translated from the original Italian, but it flows better than the first option - in English we don't really use the subjunctive, yada yada yada. (For the non-english speakers, that means "blah blah blah")

I wouldn't have said it was a macho, non-caring attitude. It just seems like he's trying to be casual. (so says the non-native speaker)

9. franceska New Member

Born in Italy- Live in USA
    Crepi actually means croak

There is substantial possibility that I will croak :)

I believe that word is used so as not to be harsh by saying die. It's used more as a lighter side, instead of saying "that I will die here". Te capi? :D

ciao ciao!

10. Merlino Senior Member

The Netherlands
    I don't think it's meant as a lighter way to say die... In Dutch, "creperen" means to die a slow, agonizing death (or something along that line :))...

11. Luigi M. New Member

Zürich, Switzerland
    Italy / Italian
    It's a pleasure to find Dutch people that speak Italian.
    Anyway, the expression by the journalist sounds as a mixture of casual and a bit non caring attitude.
    Merlino:
    "Come sempre, correg*g*ete la mia grammatica!"

12. ola New Member

Australia - English
    Hi!

Out of interest: Crepi is also the reply to the good luck call performers give before they go on stage:
    "In bocca al lupo " (In the mouth of the Wolf)
    the response is "Crepi"
    Like the 'break a leg' good luck call in english, is connected with a certain gusto or taking the situation under ones wings and getting out there and doing it!

This may be the informal feel the journalist was going for.

Hope this helps,

Ola.
    (singer)

13. zialingua Junior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Italy, Italian
    The journalist was not macho nor exhibitionist, but he felt he was to be killed by his jailers, and when there's no way to avoid one's doom, one feels like careless of everything.

14. Lola Walser New Member

Toronto
    Croatia, Croatian
    Francesca's right, Italian "crepare" translates best as "to croak". In the context, it sounds like someone putting on a brave face, with a tinge of bitterness maybe.

"Morire" is a more serious, dignified "to die".

15. franceska New Member

Born in Italy- Live in USA
    Ah Grazie!!! ;)

16. Gugone New Member

USA, English
    Just to clarify about kicking the bucket. One stands upon a bucket (or a stool) when being hanged, and the bucket is kicked out of the way in order to complete the hanging. So "kicking the bucket" is short for someone else kicking the bucket out from under one.

17. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    I happened to know that Italian journalist (Enzo Baldoni) personally. He was a dear friend of mine.
    The sentence quoted in this thread belongs to a much longer text that he wrote and published on his blog on the day that he left Italy to go to Iraq.
    He had a hunch, or to the very least admitted the possibility, that he was going to die [a violent death] in Iraq - that's what the sentence basically means.
    He was known for his witty writing and (sometimes wicked) humour, and that explains the choice of "crepare" instead of "morire".

Here's the full paragraph containing this sentence:
    The complete blog post is available from various sources online.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  18. Em-MO New Member

English -England
    Obviously it's a very sensitive issue and the words 'croak' and ' kick the bucket' , while humourous, are too light hearted in this case. I would translate it with something like " there's a very good chance I won't make it out alive".

19. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I like your translation:), but I think Stella's post makes it perfectly clear that Baldoni was nevertheless joking (black humour, for sure..) when he used the word "crepare", so I think expressions like "kick the bucket"or "pop my socks/clogs" are admissable here.

My opinion, of course.;)

20. Em-MO New Member

English -England
    maybe you're right, I find it hard to imagine someone being that blasè about the situation! Obviously reflects more about me than him! I also thought that the expression ' make it out alive' is often used in humourous way - perhaps here it wouldn't be clear enough though