cédula profesional de México

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by eyep21, Feb 26, 2009.

1. eyep21 New Member

mexican spanish
    estoy traduciendo una cedula profesional, y estoy en una frase que se me dificulta traducir: "CEDULA Con efectos de patente para ejercer la profesion de...." lo de cedula es LICENSE. gracias por su ayuda.

2. aurita Junior Member

SPANISH
    CEDULA Con efectos de patente para ejercer la profesion de...."

LISENCE with the effects of a patent to exercise the profession of ....
    hope it helped....

3. eyep21 New Member

mexican spanish
    me suena muy bien, garcias por su ayuda

4. David Senior Member

LISENCE with the effects of a patent to exercise the profession of ....
    hope it helped....

The above would not make sense to any English-speaking reader. What you need is "Certificate valid as a license for the exercise of the profession of..."

"Patent" is not used in English to mean a professional license, which is spelled as indicated. "With the effects of" is not a phrase used in English.

5. eyep21 New Member

mexican spanish
    thanks for your input, this last sentence makes more sense.

6. Tonatiuh Senior Member

Monterrey, N.L MX
    Spanish, México
    I have read that is fine if you use only: "License". Maybe you can add: "Professional". But still is ok if you use only LIcense.

I think License and Licence are interchangeably words. Does any body know about it?

7. eyep21 New Member

mexican spanish
    I think the correct spelling is "license", licence is being used on diferent way, like: licence plates, driver licence etc.

8. David Senior Member

"Licence" is an obsolete spelling, occasionally seen, but I would not recommend it. It would like like an error to most people. "Licence" is not used for drivers' licenses or license plates. You could say "only license,", but you would not be translating the text of the original. The text of the original is "Certificate valid as a license for the exercise of the profession of...

9. Tonatiuh Senior Member

Monterrey, N.L MX
    Spanish, México
    Good to know that!, I found in Babylon dictionary both terms. So I must figure out it is wrong!