Código Orgánico de ordenamiento Territorial

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by smas29, Jan 24, 2011.

1. smas29 Member

Hola a todos!
    Por favor alguien me podría ayudar con la traducción de "Código Orgánico de ordenamiento Territorial"
    Mi intento es Land Management Code, pero también he encontrado como Land Use Code.
    Pueden ser sinónimos?
    Muchas gracias!
  2. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

If you can tell us what the code is and what it does, or at least tell us where you found the term, we can better help you pick the best translation.
  3. smas29 Member

Muchas gracias por tu respuesta sandpiperlily
    La verdad se me pasó poner un poco más de contexto. Lo siento.
    El código trata sobre potenciar la
    descentralización en el país, y el trabajo de los GADS (Gobiernos Autónomos Descentralizados), la recuperación de funciones del Estado, y la entrega de competencias a los municipios, juntas parroquiales y consejos provinciales.
    Ojalá puedan ayudarme!
  4. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

Hmm... in that case, I don't think "land management code" or "land use code" are appropriate, because in English those terms are generally related to zoning laws, agriculture, etc. What you're talking about sounds more like federalism -- having to do with the balance of power between the central and local governments.

I'm blanking on coming up with a translation that's faithful to the original wording, but also conveys the same ideas in English. I don't think the word "organic" should appear in the English, because I believe it would be misunderstood. Maybe something like: "Territorial Incorporation Code" or "Intra-governmental Arrangement Code," though both of those sound awkward to me.

Esperamos más sugerencias.
  5. smas29 Member

Thanks a lot anyway!:)
  6. Joie2 Senior Member

NY, USA
    English - USA
    "Organic law" seems to be an established legal term, in English as well as Spanish, that means "fundamental."

I found the following at http://law.yourdictionary.com/organic-law:

organic law:

The body of laws that are fundamental to defining and creating a government and its legal system, whether written (such as a constitution) or unwritten.

Webster's New World Law Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.
    Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.