1. wojciech New Member

Montreal, Canada
    Poland, Polish/French/Spanish
    Today, for the first time, I heard the expression "cómo te ha ido". Could someone please either paraphrase it in Spanish, or translate it to English ? My general understanding / feeling is that it means "how is it going ?" or "how has it been going ?", but I am not 100% sure that's the true meaning.

2. wojciech New Member

Montreal, Canada
    Poland, Polish/French/Spanish
    I think I just found my answer. :)

The person who said "cómo te ha ido ?" asked me the question within the context of last week-end. I think he was trying to ask, "has your week-end gone well ?"

Does my analysis sound about right ?
  3. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish

HOw have you been? What's up? etc could be translations. However, the original Spanish sentence is formal and correct, no idioms or idiomatic expressions.

4. dj_sunflower18 New Member

Trinidad and Tobago, English
    if i were to ask a group of persons how they have been, how do i ask them? "Como les ha ido?"

i am not sure...
  5. El Perro Campestre New Member

Spain Spanish
    For Group all below ok to say ------> How has everyone been ?

Como les ha ido ---> use for your friends

Como les ha ido a todos ustedes ( "all of you" - a formal long way indicating you are more personal to everyone in group ) ----> Use at a $$$ job interview with some
    people present, a classroom setting, to impress your future in-laws from Spain.. :p

El Perro :* Wuff * P
  6. Buk Member

Spanish - Spain

At least in the Spanish-Spain way:
    If the group of people are your friends, the les is too formal (is referred to 'ustedes'), and you should use "¿Cómo os ha ido?" (referred to 'vosotros').

In a more formal way, "¿Cómo les ha ido?" is OK

7. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
  8. dj_sunflower18 New Member

Trinidad and Tobago, English
    hola amigos! Como les ha ido? (Thanks very much!)
  9. El Perro Campestre New Member

Spain Spanish
    Como les ha ido ( plural ) === use for many
    Como te va ( single ) === single

Trust me , my job is a diplomatic traslator at the U.N. ( New York ) I work for my country, Spain.

Wuff !!
  10. Chaka Member

When I first heard this expression it appeared incorrect to me as it uses the verb IR (meaning "to go") and not the verb ESTAR (meaning "to be").

As we know, in English both "to go" and "to be" share the same past participle which is been
    I have been to visit my mother twice this week - using the verb "to go"
    I haven't been very well - using the verb "to be"

In English "how have you been" is actually using the verb "to be" not "to go".
    I always presumed that the correct translation into Spanish would be "como has estado" and that "como te ha ido" was a confusion between the two meanings behind the past participle been.

Could someone please clarify this for me. Is the expression a misuse of the language that has become accepted as slang?
  11. Chaka Member

I think I may have just answered my own question.
    I failed to remember that to ask someone how they are one can also say "como te va?"...meaning "how's it going?"
    So in fact even in English we use both the verbs "to be" and "to go" when asking someone about their well being.
  12. Buk Member

Spanish - Spain
    for examle, in "¿cómo ha estado el viaje/verano?" and "¿cómo te ha ido el viaje/verano?" the meaning of the question is the same.

13. Chaka Member

Thank you ;)
  14. liquidblue02 Member

Sorry, I know this is old, but the pedant in me has to clarify. What the last poster said is wrong!

The past participle of "to go" is "gone", not "been".

Maybe they were thinking of the past pretérito in Spanish, in which "ser" and "ir" both conjugate the same e.g. fui, fuiste etc.