1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. ChampagneBrut Senior Member

    American & Canadian English

    Would there be a bilingual fashionista who might know the English translation for "cache-épaule"?

    S'agit-il d'un emprunt? Ce sera le même mot en anglais ?


  2. FanduCanadien

    FanduCanadien Senior Member

    Victoriaville, Québec, Canada
    Français - Québec
    Par cache-épaule, veut-tu dire épaulette? Si c'est le cas, le mot est shoulder pad.
  3. ChampagneBrut Senior Member

    American & Canadian English
    merci ! c'est pas tout à fait ça car c'est un sorte d'accessoire orné, au fait c'est vraiment une mode particulière.
  4. Camis12 Senior Member

    England, English
    I'm not sure what a cache épaule is, but having just checked on google images it looks like maybe it's a shrug?
  5. broglet

    broglet Senior Member

    England - English
    un cache-épaule is literally a 'shoulder hider' - I wonder if it might be an epaulette in English (ie one of those buttoned down strips of cloth that army uniforms have on their shoulders)
  6. Basia7 New Member

    English - Canada
    Je ne pense pas qu'il y a un mot exact en anglais qui veut dire cache-épaule. Le plus proche, à mon avis, est 'shawl' qui se traduit comme 'châle' en français. Je regardais les images de cache-épaule sur google, et en anglais je dirais que ce sont des 'shawls'.
  7. petit1 Senior Member

    français - France
  8. Basia7 New Member

    English - Canada
    Shoulder wrap is not common usage and rather unusual, but not incorrect.
  9. bh7 Senior Member

    Limestone City
    Canada; English
    Some Internet vendors are offering hand-crafted " cache-épaules " or " couvre-épaules " / " chauffe-épaules ", calling them in English "shoulder warmers" / "shoulder heaters".
  10. Kelly B

    Kelly B Senior Member

    USA English
    The English term depends on the style. Camis12 was right with shrug if it consists of sleeves connected by a band of fabric across the upper shoulders, and sometimes little bolero jackets are labeled as shrugs these days, too. Shrugs don't cover the front of the body, though sometimes the mini-jacket ones have a fastener in front. Capelets usually cover the upper half of the torso, front and back, usually ending at or above the elbow.
  11. Hildy1 Senior Member

    English - US and Canada

Share This Page