1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

CAD/CAM Next Generation Software (NGS)

Discussion in 'Computers/IT/Informática' started by Carol_Thatter, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Carol_Thatter Senior Member

Caballito, Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    Hi all!
    I'm translating a Corporate Policy about Capital Assets and I need help with these terms.
    Unfortunately, I have no context, as this is on a list of asset types and their depreciable lives, so I just have the terms.

CAD/CAM Next Generation Software (NGS)

I've found the following definitions so far:

CAD Computer-Aided Design system / CAD Computer-Aided Drafting / Computer-Aided Diagnostics (without context, any chance I can know which of the 3 definitions is the correct one?)

CAM Computer-Aided Manufacturing

What I need to know if the complete line as appears in the thread title means something in particular as it is or if they are just placing 3 different kind of assets in one entry on the list, but I know nothing about IT :confused:

Thank you in advance! :)

2. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    According to webopedia.com: CAD/CAM is an

Acronym for computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing, computer systems used to design and manufacture products. The term CAD/CAM implies that an engineer can use the system both for designing a product and for controlling manufacturing processes. For example, once a design has been produced with the CAD component, the design itself can control the machines that construct the part.

I don't know much about "next generation software," but it can be found on the Internet related to CAD/CAM such as this site.

So I would say that it is one kind of asset. Perhaps it is the name of the latest version of a CAD/CAM type of software.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. Carol_Thatter Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Thank you Gotita!!! Very, very much appreciated :)

4. phantom2007 Senior Member

Madrid
    spain, Spanish
    IMO they are referring to a New Generation of CAD/CAM Software. CAD and CAM are different concepts, yes, but it could be that in a new, coming generation, they come integrated. I am afraid the ambiguity is difficult to clarify without being an expert, but it should not affect your translation, as you could say: Software de Nueva Generación (para) CAD/CAM

5. Carol_Thatter Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Thank you phantom! :)

6. Ferf Senior Member

I agree completely with the learned and erudite gotitadeleche and phantom2007.

My two cents. "CAD/CAM" (sometimes CAD/CAM/CAE) is mechanical engineering, mostly machinery, design (drafting) software such as Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, CATIA, Solid Edge, NX, and last, but not least, pro/ENGINEER Wildfire CREO Parametric. Basically, drafting software with calculation and CNC (computer numerical control for lathes and mills and other machine tools) capabilities. I should know. I am a CAD/CAM college instructor with 15 years CAD/CAM industry experience.

I do agree with phantom2007 that "Next Generation of CAD/CAM Software" has to be "Software de Nueva Generación (para) CAD/CAM". I am somewhat puzzled that in 15 years I have never, ever, heard my people call these things "CAD/CAM Next Generation Software (NGS)". It is the kind of wording that somebody outside the CAD/CAM field would use, like somebody...lesse here... from Accounting.

Oh.

I see it now.

Just like butchers and barbers who must have knives always sharp, we CAD/CAM folks must have the latest and greatest version of the software. Not being an accountant, I suppose that fact that last year CAD/CAM software is pretty much obsolete must seriously affect the depreciation live of these capital assets...

7. Carol_Thatter Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Wow, Ferf, thank you for your explanation! (and the comedy ;) )