1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

cae más rápido un hablador que un cojo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by chimpo21, Feb 10, 2011.

1. chimpo21 Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexican spanish
    Hey everyone, I was wondering how to say this expression into English "cae más rápido un hablador que un cojo"... You know when someone says something that isn't going to happen or that is going to happen in other way.

Thanks

2. Plangam

Plangam Senior Member

Castellano de México
    "A chatty falls faster than a lame does."

¿Quizá?

3. chimpo21 Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexican spanish
    ¿Es una traducción literal? Suena bien pero no sé si exista.

4. Plangam

Plangam Senior Member

Castellano de México
    Sí, literal.

5. woodruff.jack Junior Member

Ecuador
    English - USA
    A liar/gossip (un hablador) will fall (cae) faster than a cripple (más rapido que un cojo).

Or to make it sound more natural, one might say: It's easier to catch a liar than it is to catch a cripple.

We don't have this expression - I think it sounds a bit strong in English, especially with the casual use of the word "cojo." I take cojo to be a light word in Spanish, not so heavy as lisiado, so in the original it sounds okay. But in English we don't have a similar word. The closest word we have in English to "cojo" is lame, but that does not work as a singular noun. That is, it would not be correct to say "It's easier to catch a liar than it is to catch a lame." You would have to say "than it is to catch a lame person," but that does not sound natural.

A more natural English expression to express the fact that all liars eventually get discovered might be: All liars eventually get trapped in the webs that they spin.