1. lloyds Senior Member

Ciudad de Buenos Aires
    Spanish-Argentina
    Although I read all the threads about coffee, I can´t find the English expression for "cafe doble". This is for a cup of coffee which doubles the usual one. Can you tell me how to say that in English? Thanks a lot!

2. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    Here we would call it a "double expresso".

Edit: Pardon, you can tell that I don't drink espresso by my terrible spelling. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Same this side of the pond - 'a double espresso'.

4. loudspeaker Senior Member

Madrid
    British English
    In BrE, it would be 'a double espresso'

5. aloofsocialite

As it should be in AmE as well. ;)

6. lloyds Senior Member

Ciudad de Buenos Aires
    Spanish-Argentina
    okey, but...... if the offer consists in: "cafe" o "cafe doble", can you say: "coffee" or "double espresso" or you have to say: "espresso" or "double espresso"?

7. aloofsocialite

"Double espresso" because, at least here, I dare say espresso is still not quite as popular or common as drip coffee, which we simply call "coffee". Despite that in most other countries our American drip coffee is considered a disgusting abomination, I do believe that what you're describing would still be called a "double espresso" and not a "double coffee" in most places.

8. lloyds Senior Member

Ciudad de Buenos Aires
    Spanish-Argentina
    Ok Aloofsocialite, so I should write: "coffee or double expresso", ok?

9. aloofsocialite

Hope you don't mind some small corrections.

10. aloofsocialite

Again, it depends on the audience. I can only speak for an American public, espresso is coffee, but drip coffee is not espresso. We most often refer to drip coffee (ie, not espresso) as "coffee". But we never call coffee (in the sense of drip coffee) espresso, however espresso is coffee. Clear as mud, right?

I think in the international English context, where drip coffee isn't so popular, coffee is simply a generic term used to describe coffee beverages, such as espresso, French press coffee, etc.

Coffee could be a general heading with espresso drinks listed beneath it.
    In an American context, it would make sense to see a menu with Coffee and Espresso listed under the heading Hot Beverages, but this may or may not hold true elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  11. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I don't know if the measures are the same in the Americas as they are here in Europe. In Spain, Italy, France and several other countries of Europe, 'a coffee' is what we Brits call 'an espresso' (after the Italian). If we want a 'long' coffee in those countries, we ask for 'un café americano'. We all appear to be assuming that you are talking of the small cup of strong stuff, since nobody would want a double version of American coffee. If you used the term 'coffee' in the US or UK, it would be assumed that you meant the large cup of dilute coffee, so 'espresso/double espresso' would be better - assuming that is what you are describing.

¿Quién habría creído que un tema como el café podría ser tan complicado?

12. lloyds Senior Member

Ciudad de Buenos Aires
    Spanish-Argentina
    I don´t mind your corrections, on the contrary, I´m grateful. I think what we usually drink here is what you call drip coffee, but it´s delicious. Espresso is a kind of coffee. The audience is people from all over the world, who are visiting Cafayate in Salta, Argentina. But the international language is English, so I need to know how do you say these things in English, no matter which is the nationality of the audience, am I clear? Thanks.........

13. aloofsocialite

Haha. I'm assuming based on size and flavor. It's true. It wouldn't make sense for us if one were to order a "double coffee". Our [drip] coffees generally come in small (about 236ml), medium (354ml), large (473ml) and just because we are always excessive, extra large (591ml) sizes.
    When we order espresso, we order a single, double, triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, etc. (the first three being the most common, the last three added for effect ;)).