Cake and cookie

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Tamar, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Hi guys!

How do you say "cake" and "cookie" in your language?

In Hebrew: cake - עוגה uga, cookie - עוגיה ugiya
  2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    In British English: "cake" = "cake"; "cookie" = "biscuit".
  3. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    In Italian:

cake = torta (singular) - torte (plural)
    cookie = biscotto (singular) - biscotti (plural)

In Spanish:

cake = tarta, pastel
    cookie = galleta
  4. Benvindo Senior Member

Brazil, Portuguese
    Brazilian Portuguese:
    cake: bolo or torta (there's a discussion on the differences between torta and bolo in the PT Forum!)
    cookie: biscoito (also bolacha /bo.'la.sha/ in some cases).
  5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I would add queque and pastel. Each has its own specific meaning.
  6. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    In Argentina we call them torta and galletita, respectively.
    For us, tarta means 'pie'. We understand pastel with the meaning of 'cake' because of the influence of TV programs and films dubbed in other countries, but for us a pastel is something different (click here).

In the case of languages so widely spoken (like Spanish), there will obviously be many different ways of calling the same thing, and often many different things called the same name.
  7. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    In Puerto Rico - cake = bizcocho, cookie = galleta
  8. Clavelito Senior Member

Colombia - Español
    Cake = torta, bizcocho, pastel, ponqué (Tarta, at least in Colombia, is the word for pie. Ponqué is not in the Spanish Royal Academy Dictionary but is widely used in Colombia).

Cookie = galleta
  9. sterretjie New Member

Afrikaans/English (Bilingual) - New Zealand
    In Afrikaans -
    cake = koek
    cookie/biscuit = koekie
  10. bb3ca201 Senior Member

Toronto sa Chanada
    English/Scottish Gaelic, Canada
    anns a' Ghàidhlig:

cake = cèic
    cookie(s) = briosgaid(ean)
  11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I am wondering whether it is that easy to give the words for 'cake' as I am not sure it covers all the meanings. In Dutch we distinguish between a cake (relatively 'dry') and a 'taart' (with fruit on it, little sculptures sometimes, of all types: frangipane, marmelade cake (cake ?), ...

I think it would be best to show pictures in order to make sure the words 'cover' the same reality. But I suppose you cannot use pictures here. But we could refer to picture such as
    - cake:
    - taart : or better still: (that would probably be a tart, not a cake in English)
  12. alinapopi Senior Member

Romanian: cake = prăjitură, tort
    cookie = biscuit(e)
  13. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    The latest posts reminded me of another Portuguese word: tarte. However, I would normally translate this as "pie" or "tart".
  14. Grop

Grop Senior Member

In French a cake is un gâteau, and a cookie is un biscuit. However some specific sorts of cakes are called cakes, and some US-style cookies are called cookies. A pie is une tarte.
  15. vikicka

vikicka Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    Macedonia- Macedonian
    In Macedonian:
    Cake= Тоpта (Torta)
    Cookie= Кoлач (Kolac)
  16. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)

In Dutch:
    cake: cake (loan from English)
    cookie (loan from Dutch): koekje

17. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    We do that too in Hebrew, we have the word tart טארט to refer to a cake that has fruit on it (I think it's actually more used in cafes than anywhere else, I'm sure most people are aware that that kind of cake is called a tart). Btw, don't you use the word "koek" in Dutch? I saw it in the dictionary but didn't know if it's actually used...

We also have the word pastel in Hebrew, and it seems to be quite similar - it's fried dough stuffed with meat:

And thanks Thomask for the recipes ;)
  18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    'Koek' to me would be a dry cookie, one portion at a time, but I do know that in some dialects 'koek' may refer to some kind of cake...

Pastei would be 'pastel', but that would be kind-of an all-in-one meal: dough, meat, vegetables, like pie, indeed. No sugar, then, and not meant as a dessert... Yours is not the way I imagine a pie because the dough is harder, so it seems, but OK, we are referring to the same kind of food. I heard the name samosa in Africa...

We could start up a cooking club in virtual space, I suppose !
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  19. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    The Russian for cake depends on the kind of cake. It could be торт (tort), or пирожное (pirozhnoye), or кекс (keks), or even sometimes пирог (pirog).
    A cookie would be печенье (pechenye) in any case, derived from the verb печь (pech) - to bake.
    We have these words as well: бисквит (biskvit) - sponge cake and галета (galeta) - sea-biscuit :)
    ThomasK: samosa is an Asian dish (, called самса (samsa) in Russian.
  20. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Samosa: I think I got mixed up because it was served to me by an Angolese friend married to a Cambodian lady !

'Pirog(i)' - isn't that like some kind of meat pie/ pastry ?
  21. Erebos12345

Erebos12345 Senior Member

Anglais canadien 加拿大英語
    Chinese, mandarin pronunciation: 蛋糕, 饼干 (dan4 gao1, bing3 gan1)
  22. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
  23. Nizo Senior Member

The confusion of definitions in other languages has led to some confusion in Esperanto as well. It is probably safe to say that kuko is the equivalent of cake. For cookie/biscuit, one could use biskvito, kekso, kuketo. This gets even more confusing when you try to find equivalents for the American term cracker.
  24. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    That makes me wonder, Nizo: what do you think of when we refer to cake and tart respectively or when you look at the pictures (#11) ?

To me there is no link between pie/ pastry/ samosa, and cake/ tart/cookie, because I consider the latter ones as entirely different (dessert, sugar, ...).
  25. Nizo Senior Member

Great question, Thomas. I should have looked at the links before. I believe I can safely say that almost any American would refer to the Appelcake in link one as apple pie. The picture in link two (kaastaart met framboozen) is to me cheesecake with raspberries. In link three (rood fruit taart) is pictured a red fruit tart.

We usually think of a cake as being made of eggs, flour, sugar and some other things, then frosted with some type of sugar glaze (which we call frosting or icing). Examples are wedding cakes and birthday cakes, both of which can be seen here: They may be single layered or multilayered. Cheesecake is a notable exception.

We think of a pie as having a top and bottom crust (or sometimes just a bottom crust) which is filled with fruit or some other ingredient. Examples are apple pie, pecan pie, lemon meringue pie, banana cream pie.

For Americans, cookies can be hard or soft but are always somewhat sweet.

Biscuits have two completely different forms for Americans. One type of biscuit is the hard, baked item, such as a tea biscuit or a doggy biscuit. The other is a raised, savory, somewhat fluffy baked good often served with a meal, particularly in the South (biscuits and gravy can often be seen on a Southern breakfast table).

I hope this helps some! I'm afraid I don't know how my British cousins would define these.
  26. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Great information, Nizo. It might indicuate or show that lots of the previous information may have been too general, as I see you are using three different terms to refer to 'sugary stuff' (indeed, I should have known there is also apple pie besides meat pie).

And if those 'guys 'n' dolls from across the ocean" have a different view from you, then... we can start all over again, I think ! ;-)

[We think too often that... any language (comparison) is easy. (I plead guilty as well)]
  27. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    ThomasK: pirog is any kind of pie (including small pies with a stuffing, though these are commonly referred to as a pirozhok, a diminutive for pirog) but a cheese cake would also be a pirog (tvorozhnyy pirog). Or chizkeyk. Yuck! It sounds so ugly in Russian :( There might be other kinds of cakes that would be pirog but I can't think of any right now.
  28. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Cheese cake in Russian ? I have heard about lots of Dutch words in Russian, but now you are adopting American words as well. Really ? Well, we have the doughnut/ donut as well...
  29. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    well, I guess any language is influenced by English in the first place nowadays. Thank God we still call donuts in Russian (ponchiki). Another borrowing that I hate is пай (pie), which means a special kind of pie that looks like this or this.
  30. valo__fan

valo__fan Senior Member

31. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    Курабье (kurabiye) is a special sort of cookies in Russian - these ones :)
  32. Kanes Senior Member

kake = keks, torta, pasta, they are diferent kinds kakes.
    cookie = biskvita, kurabia
  33. blue_jewel

blue_jewel Senior Member

In Tagalog:

There's no specific Tagalog word because we also call it cake in our country but sometimes we spell it in Filipino as keyk. For cookies or biscuits, we call it biskwet or simply the original English terms.

34. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    In German we have the following:

the cookie = 1. "der Keks/das Keks" (depending on location) plural: "die Kekse" or "die Keks"
    This is derived from English "cake" 2. "das Plätzchen", plural "die Plätzchen"
    Which is used depends as well on region as on the kind of cookies. There are some other words, which are more special or more general (das Kleingebäck, das/der Biskuit)

the cake (or pie, tart) = 1. "der Kuchen", plural "die Kuchen" 2. "die Torte" (depending on the kind of cake) - the meanings are overlapping with the English ones but are not exactly the same
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  35. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

cake = torta
    cookie = keksz
  36. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

37. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Doughnut in Russian is пончик [ponchik]
    but bagel is бублик [boob lick]
    Needless to say my English-speaking friends in Moscow loved bying bagels! :D
  38. Waterdash Senior Member

English (US)
    In Costa Rican Spanish:

Cake: queque
    Cookie: galleta
  39. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:
    Cake is κέϊκ (ceik) loanword from English and usually describes this
    Cookie is μπισκότο (mbiskoto) loanword from Italian
    Τούρτα (turta) is this
    Pie is πίτα (pita)
    In Greek κουραμπιές (kurabʝes, noun, m.) is a special cookie made for Christmas and is this
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  40. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Cro, Slo

Cake - Torta
    Cookie - Piškotek

Cake - Kolač
    Cookie - Keks
  41. Favara Senior Member

Catalan - Southern Val.
    In Catalan they're cake=pastís and cookie=galeta.
    However, in some areas, "cookie" can also be bescuit. Looks like English biscuit, but it literally means "cooked twice" (cooked in an oven=cuit; the bes- prefix means "twice" or "second", this prefix is widely used there... i.e. bescoll="second neck"=back of the neck).
  42. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

In my country: Cake = Pastel and Cookies= Galletas.

There are some small cut pieces of a special cake that is sold at bakeries called “quequis”. And your "pastís" reminded me that there are some sort of empanadas in central Mexico in Hidalgo I think, called “pastis”.
  43. marcie New Member

In Korean

These words are loanwords from English. So I read them based on English pronunciation.