call in my reservation

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by CuervoGold, Oct 27, 2013.

1. CuervoGold

CuervoGold Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hi everybody,

I'm not sure what "call in my reservation" means in this song. Is it about a "reservation" in a hotel, literally, or maybe "reservation" means "doubt" (cautela) here?

She keeps me safe and warm
    It's just the calm before the storm
    Call in my reservation
    So long hey thanks my friend
    I guess I'll try my luck again

Thank you all!

2. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    Steely Dan. Homer's Odyssey.

But it could be Calypso's island or doubt - may deliberately ambiguous.

3. CuervoGold

CuervoGold Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hi Dylons,

I already knew there's a metaphor about The Odyssey, but I want to know how to translate "Call in my reservation". ¿Llamo a mi reserva? ¿Llamo a mi cautela?

4. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    Could be either - you have to decide which way you want to read it. Personally, I'd probably go for cautela/reserva.

5. CuervoGold

CuervoGold Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thank you, Dylons.

"Llamo a mi reserva / cautela
    Hasta pronto, gracias amigo"

"Llamo", ¿in the sense of phoning? Or does it have another sense, to "call in"?

6. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    The travel motif in this song makes me think he means reservation in the sense of hotel, although if you translate it to "reserva", the likely double-entendre present here will come through because you can say "tengo reservas" to mean "dudas" or "cautela"

7. CuervoGold

CuervoGold Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thank you Kotosquito. I still have a doubt about "call in". I suppose it means "llamar" in the sense of telephoning. Or does it have another sense, to "call in"?

8. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    "Call in" is used in two different senses: one, to communicate something (generally this is literal, by telephone or radio); we speak of "calling in our location", if we are in contact with some central office and our whereabouts are variable. Two, to redeem a debt or favor; we speak of "calling in my debts" or "calling in a favor"--in other words, asking the person to whom money was loaned to pay it back, or to pay back a favor. So "call in my reservation" might be translated something like "Llama por/Confirma mi reserva (? de hotel?)" (es un mandato) or "infOrmale de mis reservas" ...but I am inclined to go with the former, since "dudas" is usually expressed as plural in English--to have "reservations" about something or someone.

9. CuervoGold

CuervoGold Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thank you very much, Kotosquito! :)

10. kotosquito Senior Member

Champaign, Illinois, USA
    United States, English
    ¿Y cómo la has traducido todo, al final? Por curiosidad te lo pregunto.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014