call my bluff

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cubana, Oct 24, 2006.

1. cubana Senior Member

cuba/ spanish
    Hi guys...what this phrase means?. Does "bluff" means "to lie" ? thanks en advance.

2. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    I say something that I don't really mean.....I ask you to dare me to tell the truth. It comes from poker, a card game, I believe. I indicate that I may have a certain "high" hand, and I aske you to "raise" my bid. That is "calling my bluff".

I'm hoping that someone can come up with a better example.

3. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Bluff, in poker, means you are betting as if you have good cards, when in fact you don't really have anything. I this case, it is said that you are bluffing.

If you bluff well, others will believe that you have a good hand, they will fold, that is turn their cards upside down indicating that they don't want to continue. In this case, you win and take all the money.

If your "poker face" betrays you, people will be suspicious and they will call your bluff. In this case the play continues, and in the end, since your cards are bad, you lose.

EDIT: in real life, to bluff is usually to say you will do something that you're not prepared to do. If someone call your bluff, they're challenging you to do it, thinking that you wouldn't.

4. languageGuy Senior Member

Kansas City, MO
    USA and English
    The one additional thing I would add, when you make the bluff in poker you also bet a large sum of money. Your oponents then are stuck with a difficult choice, whether to fold or to call the bluff. Folding means they lose, but it costs them nothing. To call, they must match that large sum of money with their own, and they will only win if they predicted correctly that if was a bluff, but will lose still if you have a good hand.

5. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    HI,

One of the best examples of this phrase occured in an old Clint Eastwood Movie, Dirty Harry.

Harry is a cop who captures a criminal and has his gun pointed at the criminal. The criminal thinks that, during the chase, Harry has used up all his bullets and that the gun is now empty. He says that Harry is bluffing (trying to pretend he has an advantage that he does not, in fact, have). Harry replies something like:, "So call my bluff. Are you feeling lucky, sucker?"

In fact, Harry did have another bullet left in his gun!

Joelline, a Clint Eastwood fan!

6. cubana Senior Member

cuba/ spanish
    thank you guys.

7. Dangerous_Sakura New Member

Spanish
    Please, can you explain me what "call my bluff" means in this Disney's aladdin song?

"Forget about love" of the Return of jafar.

BOTH:
    Love's filled with compromises

IAGO:
    And don't you hate those big surprises?

JASMINE:
    A cozy rendezvous

IAGO:
    Oh, please!

JASMINE:
    Candlelight for two

IAGO:
    Oh, geez!