camarón que se duerme, se lo lleva la corriente

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by catcherndarye, Jun 22, 2006.

1. catcherndarye Member

Florida, U.S.
    Colombia, Spanish

I am trying to find a proverb equivalent to the Spanish "camaron que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente".

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated,

thank you.
  2. Soy Yo Senior Member

EEUU - inglés
    No estoy seguro puesto que ha habido una discusión sobre el significado de "A rolling stone gathers no moss"... pero es posible que ésta tenga la idea que buscas.
  3. Maruja14 Senior Member

Sevilla - España
    Español - España (Madrid)
  4. scendal New Member

United States-English
    Dice que el camarón que no hace nada falta la oportunidad de influir su dirección en la corriente: En inglés, significa "You snooze, you lose."
  5. Snoop Puss Senior Member

Brit now living in Spain
    I've never heard the expression "you snooze, you lose" among Brits. I like it.

Here's an interesting link:

On the basis of the interpretation they give, another option might be "it's the early bird that catches the worm".
  6. scendal New Member

United States-English
    While that certainly is close, it's not so much about taking early action to get what you want but instead about taking any action at all. More like the concept of "if you don't vote, you have no right to complain about politics." Sort of a warning that if you don't control your own future, someone else will.

In terms of "The early bird gets the worm" a good equivalent is "A quien madruga, Dios le ayuda" which literarally translates to "God helps those who gets up early."
  7. jamafrind

jamafrind Senior Member

Hello, could someone help here please. I believe that the sentence translates as, "the prawn that falls asleep is carried away by the current". I have a couple of questions; what does the sentence translate to in the literal sense. In other words, is the "current" carrying away the prawn, or vice-versa, in the literal translation.

Secondly, I'm struggling to understand the use of the direct object pronoun "lo" with the "se". What's the explanation for this?

Can someone please help?......

Many thanks in advance...
  8. jamafrind

jamafrind Senior Member

Algunas ideas, por favor...? :confused:
  9. mariposita

mariposita Senior Member

US, English
    Wait, you did say falls asleep... I must have been seeing things! Sorry about that.
  10. catcherndarye Member

Florida, U.S.
    Colombia, Spanish
    Literally, "camaron que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente" would go along the lines of
    "the current takes the prawn that falls asleep." So that should answer your question about who takes whom along.
    I'm afraid that this is all I can help you with. For uses of the direct object pronoun, "lo" and reflexives, etc., please enter the only Spanish forum where I'm sure somebody will be glad to help.

Good luck!

11. diego875 New Member

Montevideo, Uruguay - Spanish
    "You snooze, you lose." That's it.
  12. Cracker Jack Senior Member

I can't really think of a proverb but I can cite some metaphors or equivalents that parallel that one:

''A man without principles is like a fish without a backbone.''

"A tumbling weed.''

This one's a bit hilarious. Try plucking out a cocoon of a butterfly and squeeze the larva out. Ask it where the north is and it will point aimlessly without a mind of it's own. It's like the camarón in question.
  13. aattiirr New Member

There are many "se"!
    SE for impersonal sentences
    SE replacing an indirect object
    SE for pronominal verbs
    SE for reflective sentences
    SE for reciprocal sentences
    SE used in oral sentences
    SE for passive sentences

Just tell me for what se are you looking for and I will try to help you!! :)