camioneta con redila(s)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by loladamore, Jul 11, 2006.

1. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to say redila in English? I mean the rails or grate-like bars that go on the back of a van or truck. Is it a cage?
    Thanks in advance.

2. ranazul New Member

hermosillo
    MEXICO spanish
    racks truck

3. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Have you actually heard anyone say that, rana? It sounds a bit strange... Thanks, though!

4. M.mac Senior Member

English, New Zealand
  5. Hidrocálida

Hidrocálida Senior Member

6. M.mac Senior Member

English, New Zealand
    OK, I've found the term stake bed but it's not one I've ever heard before. I think it is a US usage so not sure if it's understood outside of the States.

7. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Thanks for the tip M.mac. I've had a look at some stake bed trucks, and I think that stake bed body means redilas. What a mouthful... I would never have come up with that myself; thanks very much!

8. mazbook

mazbook Senior Member

Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
    United States/México, English
    "Stake bed" is definitely the common term in the U.S. "Bed" refers to the flat floor, "stake" to the sides and back. "Stake bed body" wouldn't be correct.

9. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Now I'm confused again! I had a look at a few pages and it seemed that the stake bed was the flat bit of the stake bed truck that the stakes go into, and that the stake bed body was this. :confused:
    But I have never heard it in English anyway, and you obviously have! Thanks for clearing that up, mazbook.
    Cheers. :)

10. Gato_Gordo

Gato_Gordo Senior Member

The Western Pearl
    Spanish - México
    Hola Lola:

Bed se refiere a la cama, tarima o plancha plana en la base de la caja, stake significa estaca y son las tablas de madera que forman los lados de la caja. ^_^

11. M.mac Senior Member

English, New Zealand
    Looking at your picture I realised where I come from we call that a cattle truck or stock truck because it's usually used to transport sheep or cattle. :rolleyes:

12. mazbook

mazbook Senior Member

Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
    United States/México, English
    "stake bed was the flat bit of the stake bed truck that the stakes go into," You've got that part absolutely correct. The stakes being the sides and back. The bed is the flat floor.

However, if you buy a truck with no bed (for customizing, common in the U.S.), you can then buy the "stake bed body" that specifically refers to a kit manufactured by this company and others. That is the only time that the noun phrase "stake bed body" would be used. Normally, you would just say, "He has a stake bed truck," or "John has a truck with a stake bed," when referring to a "camioneta con redila(s)".

13. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Thank you very much, everyone. Much appreciated! :)

14. euphemism_treadmill

euphemism_treadmill Junior Member

Área de la Bahía
    Inglés norcaliforniano
    Eso no es exactamente lo mismo, eso es un camión ganadero.

15. SJV Senior Member

California
    English-US
    Having been a truck driver in another life, sideracks are the vertical sections that insert into the stakebed. These are likely the redilas.