1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Can miles truly separate you from friends

Discussion in 'English Only' started by frame78, Jan 28, 2010.

1. frame78 New Member

Italian
    Hello everybody,
    is this sentence of Richard Bach correct for the english grammar? "Can miles truly separate you from friends... If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?"
    I'd like to tattoo this sentence, and i'd like to know if it is correct, i don't wanna make a tattoo with mistakes. I think is the right sentence written on the Bach's book "There's No Such Place As Far Away"

Thanks

2. TannerS Junior Member

English - Nebraska
    I would write it like this:
    "Can miles truly separate you from friends? If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?"

But, if you are going to get it tattooed, wouldn't you want to check the original sentence in the book? :)

3. frame78 New Member

Italian
    why do you think it's better without dots? for your choice, or because is more correct?

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Welcome, frame78 and TannerS. :)

I agree with Tanner that you need a question mark after the first question. I would leave in the dots, though, if they mark the place where you left out words that are in the original quotation. At least, I would if I were writing it. I think that people would understand if you wanted to take a shortcut in a tattoo.

5. frame78 New Member

Italian
    Thanks for your welcome! :)
    You have convinced me, I think I'll do with question marks, but surfing the web, I have seen many different versions of the sentence (with "us" instaead "you", and many more), but I think this is the original sentence. I can't check because I haven't a copy of the book in english, and I don't want to buy it only for this, if someone who have the book can check it for me, would be great!

thanks

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Here is the text from the original:
    [SIZE=-1]He was quiet, and when we arrived at the owl's home, he said, "Can miles truly separate us from friends? If you want to be with Rae, aren't you already[/SIZE] there?
    All but the red text is taken from the Google Books version.
    The quote has been modified, many times.

7. frame78 New Member

Italian
    Thanks a lot. :)
    I don't like the original sentence, even if in the context of the book is good, I think the one I've posted is more indicated to express the theme of distance between two friends.
    I think I'll use "Can miles truly separate you from friends? If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?" with question marks, is important that there aren't grammar mistakes.

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There aren't.