Can you begin a sentence with 'still'?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mirunamu, Oct 10, 2009.

1. mirunamu Member

South Korea, Korean
    Can you begin a sentence with 'still'?

For example, is the following usage of 'still' gramatically correct?

Ex) He has many personal drawbacks. Still, I consider him as my best friend.

I know this is not elegant language and I probably wouldn't use the word 'still' in the way it is used in the example. However, I still wonder whether starting a sentence with 'still' is gramatically erroneous or just unsophisticated.

Thank you in advance

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Still here? In that case, I would say, yes, you certainly can. I don't think it's wrong or inelegant at all. I think it's very appropriate in your example... it's a nice pause before you offer your conclusion.
  3. b1947420 Senior Member

This useage would be as an adverb and takes the meaning of "nevertheless" / "all the same" / "even so" / "for all that" etc etc. So yes I think that it is acceptable at the start of a sentence.
  4. mirunamu Member

South Korea, Korean
    Ok, I understand. So there is nothing wrong with it I guess.... Thank you for your responses.
  5. neal41 Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA, English
    I agree. Very appropriate.
  6. brian

brian Senior Member

AmE (New Orleans)
    You yourself have shown the difference (syntactically & semantically) between sentence-initial still and mid-sentence still. ;) That is, still at the beginning of the sentence is the same as "however/nevertheless...still", so in fact, your two sentences above could be restated as:

1) He has many personal drawbacks. However, I still consider him as my best friend.
    2) Still, I wonder whether...

P.S. I agree with the rest that both uses of still are perfectly grammatical and elegant.
  7. the american scribe New Member

Memphis, Tenn. - USA
    Still, I believe you can.

Use of "still," at the beginning of a sentence is an emphatic announcer which translates simply to "however or nevertheless."

When used in the middle of a sentence like "He is still my friend," the meaning takes on much like "continuing to be." The use assumes an "opposition" that employing an emphatic announcer seeks to defend.