1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

canale distributivo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Parigigi, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Hi there,

I was wondering what "canale distributivo" meant exactly in Italian - the context is a contract which grants certain rights to the RAI for the distribution of a movie.
    Is it simply a "channel" (TV) or rather a "canal" (less precise and exclusive) ?
    Here is the sentence:
    Rai Cinema acquisisce, inoltre, il diritto di utilizzare in perpetuo e in tutto il mondo, senza scopo di lucro, anche tramite la rete internet con piena facoltà di utilizzare formati non lineari e sistemi di compressione digitale e di riproduzione temporanea e/o permanente nell’ambito della distribuzione / trasmissione / diffusione / disseminazione su qualsiasi canale distributivo, anche multimediale...
    My try :
    Rai Cinema acquires the perpetual and universal right to use... within the environment of distribution / etc. through any distributive canal, even a multimedia one...
    Thanks!

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I would vote for "distribution channel".
    It means any way in which something can be "sold" or "distributed".

Examples:
    The major distribution channels for fresh lettuce in this area include buyers for seven major supermarkets, 14 MacDonalds restaurants, and eight mom and pop grocery stores.

The distribution channels for our product include the internet, agents in Canada, telephone sales, and 27 retail stores.

The distrubution channels for out TV program include "Pay per View", Channel 4, and direct internet streaming video.

3. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Ok thanks a lot.
    They use "canale" elsewhere as "tv channel"...
    Maybe "broadcast channel" is better, since we're talking about a movie?
    Cheers!

4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    It seems like your document is very legal, and so I think I might go with the more common "distribution channel" if they are only talking about marketing, and a "deal" to market the program.

I can imagine someone arguing that "broadcast" has a narrow interpretation, and "distribution" a wide, more flexible meaning.

5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH

No, I agree with Tim!

You can distribute anything through distribution channels...