1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Canalisation électrique

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by prinjon, Mar 3, 2010.

1. prinjon Senior Member

Near Paris
    French from Paris area
    For general wiring, how do you call a group of wires for electricity distribution ?

My try : electric main

2. LostTrolley Junior Member

Badminton
    English - England
    The small group of wires that brings electricity into your house is called "the electric main". The collection of cables and fuses that takes electricity round your house is called "electrical distribution".

- M

3. prinjon Senior Member

Near Paris
    French from Paris area
    OK.
    Can you say electric line for wires...?

4. LostTrolley Junior Member

Badminton
    English - England
    A single connection all alone is an electric wire. If you group several wires together in one piece, you have an electric cable and the individual conductors are (cable) cores. A flexible cable that connects power to something is called an electric flex. You can omit "electric" from all of these as long as it is clear from the context what you mean. Or you can substitute mains for electric if the connection is to 240V (or local equivalent). People talk about a "mains wire", but this is one of the few cases where engineers shake their heads at the rest of the world's use of language instead of the other way round.

I would not personally use "electric line", and I am not sure what I would understand if somebody else used it. Perhaps a railway line where the trains are electric, not diesel?

- M

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. prinjon Senior Member

Near Paris
    French from Paris area
    Thanks so much for really clear to the subject explanations.
    Never too late to thank I hope.