1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Cangote

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Out Of Sight, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Out Of Sight Senior Member

English USA
    Intento traduzir a canção de CEU que se chama “cangote.” Eu gosto muito da canção , mais quero saber o que ela está dizendo. Meu tentative:

Fiz minha casa no teu cangote
    I built my house on the back of your neck/shoulders
    Não há neste mundo quem me bote
    There is nothing in this world that can knock me off
    Pra sair daqui
    So I can get out of here
    Te pego sorrindo num pensamento
    I put a smile in a thought

Eu gostaria dá ajuda de voces. Muito obrigado!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. Dom Casmurro

Dom Casmurro Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    Bets are our moderator will mutilate your post a little bit, as one of the forum rules provide for lyrics of songs not to be posted in their whole content.

As for cangote, wow! what a tricky translation that is. Besides its straightforward anatomic meaning, this word bears a sensuous connotation associated with the fact that it is a zone of the body especially sensitive to sexual stimulation. I don't think you'll find an English word for that.

On the other hand, I have a correction as far as anatomy is concerned. The choice that you made (back of the neck) is more apt to translate the word nuca than cangote. Cangote, actually, is the side of the neck, beneath the ear.

3. coolbrowne Senior Member

Bethesda, MD - USA
    Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    Hi Out Of Sight

Translating a song is a tall order, really advanced stuff: idioms and poetic license make it so, not to mention poetic use of imagery (not the same as poetic license, which has to do with structure: subversion of regular grammar rules, mostly for purposes of metric, rhyme, and rhythm). Thus one would first need to gain a lot of experience translating prose, before attempting songs and poetry. That being said, let’s try to geat an idea of what these verses mean:
    Bear in mind that the translation is not an exact rendering, because it needs to maintain some of the flow and imagery. For instance, you were correct in that "num pensamento" means "in a thought", but it doesn't flow in English. Also "nada me bota para sair daqui", means "nothing forces me to leave here" or "nothing will evict me" (since the image is a house), but neither would quite fit the feeling in the phrase, so I opted for "abandon". Last, but not least, "nape of the neck" is an approximation. As Dom Casmurro suggests, "cangote" may have a different interpretation.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. Out Of Sight Senior Member

English USA
    Thanks to the both of you, I figured It would be a bit ambiguous and poetic, your comments are helpfull thanks!

5. miss24k New Member

English (USA)
    I think you have a very good translation here, by far the best I've found. Any chance you could help out with the rest? Here are the rest of the lyrics. I would be so grateful, I've been looking for a good translation of this song forever!!!

Te pego sorrindo num pensamento
    Faz graça de onde fiz meu achego, meu alento
    E nem ligo
    Como pode, no silêncio, tudo se explicar?!
    Vagarosa, me espreguiço
    E o que sinto, feito bocejo, vai pegar

6. Leandro

Leandro Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazil - Portuguese
    "cangote" is basically the side of the neck near the bottom of the ear.
    There is a common expression that says: "dar um cheiro no cangote" which means slightly touching (or almost) your nose on that area I described above and inhale deeply.