Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What is your word for that? And is it somehow negative or positive in its use?

Dutch: kaap

- de kaap omzeilen, sail around the cape (get around and thus beyond an obstacle or avoid it)
    - de kaap bereiken/ overschrijden, to reach/ get beyond the cape (fig.)
  2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greeks try to avoid instead, headlands, in Gr. «σκόπελος» ['skopelos] (masc. nom. sing.), «σκόπελοι» ['skopeli] (masc. nom. pl.) which is an ancient word, «σκόπελος» 'skŏpĕlŏs (masc.) --> lit. look-out-place, metaph. headland, promontory. Compound, masc. noun «σκοπός» skŏ'pŏs --> look-out-man, watcher, sentry (PIE base *speḱ-, to observe; cf. Lat. specere, to observe) + masc. productive suffix «-ελος».
    Colloquially though -as my brother just remined me- we also try to avoid a «κάβος» ['kavos] (masc. nom. sing.) or «κάβοι» ['kavi] (masc. nom. pl.), which is an Italian -or I should say a Genoese- loanword: Genoese cavo > Byz. & Mod. Gr. κάβος --> cape.
    In Navy slang we use the expressions 1) «παίρνω κάβο» ['perno 'kavo] (lit. "to take a cape") --> to notice something serious, 2) «καβατζάρω» [kava'd͡zaro] --> lit. to get around a cape, metaph. to avoid a difficulty (Latin caput > dim. capitium > It. cavezza > καβατζάρω).
    Their use is primarily negative.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Portuguese: cabo

In some phrases this word means "end". For example, ao fim e ao cabo, "in the end" (literally "at the end and at the cape"), "all things considered", "when you think about it". There's even a very common verb derived from it, acabar, to finish. The same happens in Spanish.

I don't think it generally has a negative connotation, but one particular cape has historically - or rather poetically - been associated with either connotation:
    Cabo das Tormentas = Cape of Storms; Cabo da Boa Esperança = Cape of Good Hope
    Actually, the negative version is more common in speech, with the sense of "great difficulty", while the positive version is used mostly just as a geographical term.
  4. ilocas2 Senior Member

Czech: mys - a 19th century loanword from Russian
  5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian: a compound hegyfok and we do not use any idiom with that noun
  6. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Just wondering: 'promontory' might be like some kind of cliff, therefore more dangerous... But I might add that in a separate thread.

@ Outsider: very interesting, but it reminds me: could cape not have to do with head (like French achever)??? >I have just checked, and the origin of the Dutch word refers to 'head' indeed. never thought of that, but I now notice Apmoy pointed that out as well..

@ Ebncolpius: some kind of pointed stair then (hegy + fok) ?

@ ilocas: would you know what 'mys' could mean in Russian, besides 'cape'?

I forgot to mention: le cap in French seems to be something like the goal, very positive therefore.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

hegy = mountain
    fok has 4 meanings, one of them is stair, but in that case it means only "cape" as well, you can say, fok or hegyfok, the same meaning, you use hegy- just to be sure what you are speaking about of 4 meanings
  8. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Norwegian: kapp

North Cape, Norway (Nordkapp, Norge) is often referred to as the northernmost point of Europe.
  9. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    мыс /mys/ - lit. point of the foot.
    It is a neutral word. I cannot think of any figurative meaning or positive/negative expressions with that word.

Check out this thread, there is some info in more languages.
  10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Neither Norwegian nor Russian seem to use 'cape' in some expression then. Quite possible, but I wondered: is there no expression like rounding the cape, which is the English expression?

The information on peninsulas, promontories, etc., was quite interesting indeed, especially where it refers to underlying meanings!
  11. arielipi Senior Member

if you mean by cloth:
    cape is glima גלימה root g-l-m
    google and morfix though, say שכמייה shichmiya root sh-ch-m.

If you mean by geographical thingy, we dont really have that; we would use the equivalent of gulf, מפרץ mifratz root p-r-tz.

Wiki says that we use either לשון יבשה lashon yabasha or כף kef.
  12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Yes, the etymon is Latin caput, "head", "headland". The Portuguese and Spanish words for head are related to this, cabeça, cabeza < L. *capitia, a diminutive of caput.

I didn't know about the connection with French achever.
  13. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Interesting way of correcting myself after almost 3 years; cavo is not a Venetian loanword but a Genoese one
  14. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

I think in older Tagalog of the south it is "Imus"(Ymous).