Capital of China

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Youngfun, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Hi!
    I'm a complete beginner in Japanese, recently I decided to write my location in the Wordreference profile in Japanese. :)
    中国の都 is a direct translation from the Chinese 中国之都, meaning "capital of China".

Is 中国の都 correct in Japanese? Would it be understood?
    If not, how do I say "capital of China"?

Thank you very much!

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    中国の首都 is OK too. 中国の都 doesn't pinpoint your town Beijing, suggesting one of the big cities somewhere in China. But 中国の都 sounds very cool so I don't want you to modify it!

3. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Thanks frequency!
    I also thought about 中国の首都 at first, but I think 中国の都 is cooler. ;)

In Chinese 都 has also the double meaning of "capital" (as in 首都) and "metropolis" (as in 都市), but when saying XX之都 it means "the capital of XX".
    It seems that in Japanese の都 is not clear enough to mean "capital" :(

4. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Unfortunately no. But 都 stands for a big, famous city. On the WR forum, your profile specially mention that you're from 中国の都―I assume that you're probably from Beijing. If not, it would be Shanghai, as the second alternative. This is a 'natural selection' when we kanji users pick up information from kanji, isn't it? And 中国の都 makes me to imagine that you're from an old city such as 西安、長安..due to work of the 'natural selection' ;)

5. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Good to know that at least you thought about Beijing first :)
    And 西安、長安 are the same city, the first is the modern name, the latter the ancient name, when it was capital. ;)

6. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Thank you for correction! haha!