caratterizzato da un arredamento d'autore fatto

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Amaltamnena, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Amaltamnena Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    English(USA)/Spanish(EC)-bilingual
    Hello there! Can someone help me with the translations of the following context?
    Indimenticabile la Forum Suite: al secondo piano ad angolo con vista su Piazza di Spagna e l'omonima scalinata, questo appartamento è caratterizzato da un arredamento d'autore fatto di marmi, stucchi, cristalli e tessuti nei toni del giallo oro. 

Legno scuro e marmo conferiscono la magnifica eleganza agli ambienti e splendidi dipinti in soggiorno e in camera da letto impreziosiscono le pareti.
    My translation:
    The magnificent Forum Suite: Located on the second floor in a corner facing the Spanish Steps. The Design décor is this apartment's main characteristic /special feature is it includes design furniture marble, stuccos, crystals and soft furbishing/prescious fabrics in yellow golden tones.

Thanks!
    Amaltamnena

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Instead of "design" I'd use "designer". My suggestion
    The marble, stucco and crystal furnishings covered in a golden yellow fabric give the apartment its distinctive designer look.

3. Amaltamnena Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    Thank you rrrose17! You are right!
    Amaltamnena

4. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian, Italy
    Hi Amaltamnena!

My attempt is as follows:

"...this flat has the peculiarities of artist furnishings made of marbles, stuccos, crystalwares and fabrics with shades of yellow golden. Dark wood and marble lend the magnificent elegance to the rooms. Wonderful paintings in living room and in bedroom embellish the walls".

@rrose17: sorry! I am thinking your translation is not close to the meaning of Italian text.

Your translation means: "il marmo, lo stucco e i mobili di cristallo coperti da una stoffa gialla e dorata danno all'appartamento il suo aspetto di un designer esclusivo".

Bye,

Benzene

5. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Ok mea culpa! I confess I took some liberties here but it was the four words together marble, stucco, crystal AND golden yellow fabric (it really is golden yellow and not yellow golden:) otherwise you have to say yellowish gold) that I found was just too much. I think in this context of exagerated real estate agent hyperbole my translation gives the same meaning, even though not completely precise.

6. Amaltamnena Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    Hi Benzene and thanks!
    You are right when you say that rrose suggestion changes the meaning.
    It's my fault for not posting my version which is:

Located on the second floor in a corner facing the Spanish Steps and the homonymous square. A designer look is the special characteristic of this suite that features marble (floors), stucco and crystal furnishings, embraced by precious fabrics of gold and yellow tones. Dark wood and marble floors give this suite unparalleled elegance while beautiful paintings hanging on the walls embellishes the living room and bedroom
    What do you think?
    Amaltamnena

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian, Italy
    Hi Amaltamnena!

Your translation is perfect, it matches the meaning of the Italian text.

Why did you use "Spanish Steps" instead of "Spanish Staircase" or "Spanish Stairs"?

Bye,

Benzene

8. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    :thumbsup: Sounds terribly expensive!
    @Benz Spanish Steps is indeed what they're called in English. :)

9. Amaltamnena Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    :

Yes, it is expensive!..It's a historic 5 star luxury hotel..kings and queens stay there!:)
    Benzene for your information: Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Square) is the square at the bottom of the Spanish Steps (Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti).
    Thank you both for your help!
    Amaltamnena

10. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Brighton, Uk
    Italian
    Not really. To my (non-native) ears, it sounds like the fabrics cover or are anyway related to the furnishing, while the fabrics are just one more feature.
    Sticking to the original text, couldn't we go like this?

A designer look is the special characteristic of this suite that features marble (floors), stucco and crystal furnishings, along with precious fabrics of gold and yellow tones.

Anyway, this hotel may well be luxurious (this suite costs €1000+ pn), but their adspeak is really miserable ;)

By the way, I'm afraid they mistake "kitsch" for "magnifica eleganza" :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. Amaltamnena Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    Hi your quite right regarding the word "embrace" to tell you the truth I have no idea of how it got there!....if you see the original post I had written and. thank you for pointing it out.

1000 Euros won't do!;)

12. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Brighton, Uk
    Italian

13. Amaltamnena Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    Thanks and have a nice day!