1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Cariño - The definition behind the definition?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Swagga, May 24, 2007.

1. Swagga New Member

English and United States
    Alright, the deal is that this girl who I have been told by her that she has a "crush" on me, calls me by Cariño. When I asked her what it means she told me she wanted to tell me when the time is right and she said the way she means it, it's similar to the dictionairy definition but deeper. We're not past the friendship stage however we've both thought about it for sure. So I was wondering what exactly you think she means by it when she calls me that. Thanks

2. Julie_UM

Julie_UM Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina, Spanish
    I think she is the only one who can answer your question. "Cariño", like "sweetheart", could be said by the same person with slightly different meanings in different contexts. You'll have to wait and find out for yourself I'm afraid.

3. Swagga New Member

Thanks lol, because right now she is across state, I can't see her for a little while. She told me she has to tell me when the time and place is right.

4. paugirl Senior Member

spain
    spain
    hello

yeah, cariño= sweetheart, honey (in this context, of course)

^_^

5. Swagga New Member

But the thing is why couldn't she have just told me that? rather than making me wait -_-

6. Julie_UM

Julie_UM Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina, Spanish
    hahaha
    Again, that, you'll have to ask her!

7. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hi Swagga:

Please, check in WR dictionary, here you are going to find many threads about "Cariño", maybe your answer is there.

Regards.

8. silvester

silvester Senior Member

USA
    Mexico, spanish
    Hello,
    Judging by her answer, it sounds like she's flirting with you, and probably means it like a girlfriend would mean it. But like Julie Um said, only she knows the answer.

9. Swagga New Member

^^that's what I was hoping for -_- thanks for help

10. Pandora_ New Member

España español
    If she attach importance to that word it's because it means "sweetheart" as Julie UM says. As I said in other post, "cariño" can be used in every way you want depends on the contest.