Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by PaulaGiner, Feb 3, 2013.

1. PaulaGiner New Member

Good Morning!
    I'm an architect, and I'm trying to transalate a technical word into english, and I would appreciate the help of someone that has some knowdlegde in the field.
    I'm looking for the translation of "carpintería". In spanish that word refers to every woodwork or either metalwork, framing... in a house, doesn't matter the material used. We would use "carpintería" for everything although it references to "wood".

What would be the correct general term in english¿ Is it woodwork?

Thanks in advance!

2. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    Carpentry is a possibilty, though like woodwork, it applies specifically to wood.
  3. PaulaGiner New Member

Thankyou very much! I'll use carpentry then!

4. rodelu2 Senior Member

Punta Fría, R.O. del U.
    Quien hace el framing de una casa es un "carpenter", quien construye muebles es un "joiner" (UK) o "cabinetmaker"(US); ambos hacen "woodworking", y sus herramientas son "woodworking tools". Si es con metal NO es aplicable ninguno de los nombres mencionados.
  5. PaulaGiner New Member

Thanks rodelu2. Would you think that "carpentry" could be a good try then, though it relates to wood too?
    I need a general term to name both woodwork and metalwork at the same time.

In Spain we use "carpintería" but just in specialized fields.

Thanks in advance.

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

What would be an example of "carpintería" meaning metalwork ...?
  7. rodelu2 Senior Member

Punta Fría, R.O. del U.
  8. rodelu2 Senior Member

Punta Fría, R.O. del U.
    Mostly doors and windows made out of steel or aluminium and also furniture made out of steel. "Carpintería metálica" really makes no sense (oxymoron is it?) so some shops describe their trade as "Aberturas de aluminio" or "Aberturas metálicas"(for doors and windows) or "Muebles metálicos" for furniture.