Carta de garantía autenticada y apostillada para personas a cargo

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by dondinero, Jun 20, 2006.

1. dondinero Junior Member

Field and topic:
    Hello, I am taking a trip to Spain this August and I want my Girlfriend, who is from Colombia to come with me. Please help me correct my authenticated letter of guaranty. "Carta de garantia autenticada y apostillada para personas a cargo." I have translated it as best I could using the help of past threads, see below. Also does apostillada mean that it is to be addressed to the person for whom the letter is for? Thanks and I appreciate your help, you guys are great.

19 de Junio, 2006

A quien corresponda,

Por medio de la presente, afirmo que __________ me va a acompañar durante mi viaje a España en el mes de agosto de este año. Estaré a cargo de todos los gastos, previstos e imprevistos, de dicho viaje. Asumo responsabilidad total de todas las expensas, necesidades, y por supuesto la salud de este individuo durante el viaje.

Les saludo atentamente,
    _______
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    June 19, 2006

To Whom It May Concern,

I hereby affirm that ____________ will accompany me during my trip to Spain in the month of August of this year. All expenses, expected and unexpected, of said trip will be paid by myself. I accept full responsibility for this individual’s expenses, needs, and of course, well-being during this trip.

Sincerely,
    _________

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Your letter looks all right to me, but I guess I am at a loss at to WHO you would be sending this to, why it should have an apostille, and why they need a letter from you stating that the expenses of a Colombian national are going to be your responsibility

3. dondinero Junior Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I will answer your questions in reverse order.
    The answer to the last part of you question, this letter is part of a list of requisites in order for my girlfriend to obtain a Schengen visa (even though the trip is for just a couple of weeks they tell her she needs to have one).

I don't know how to answer the second part of your question, I am not sure what a apostille is. The list of requisites says "Carta de garantia autenticada y apostillada para personas a cargo." Does this mean to simply list the person(s) that I am taking responsability for? Or does "apostillada" simply mean notarized?

To answer the first part of your question, I am under the impression that I have to send it to the Spanish consulate in Bogota, Colombia. Unless, of course "apostillada para personas a cargo" means that the letter has to be addressed to my girlfriend.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    I have never heard of a Schengen visa, but if I were you, I would thoroughly investigate this. Call up the Colombian consulate, call up the Spanish consulate, make sure YOU understand what is required for her, because simply relying on what you think you understand might miss something which turns out to be important.

Are YOU going on a work visa? student visa? The request for you to "promise" or "swear" that you are covering her expenses might be to forestall the possibility she could look for work there on whatever alternate visa she might be granted to enter the country.

Both of you need to be sure what´s going on here.

An apostille is a certificate of authenticity for some document or signature that is usually notarized. Notary seals aren´t recognized internationally, that´s why the apostille is required. You can research "apostille" which was a civil-legal topic treated in the The Hague Convention. Try googling that, and good luck, and have fun.

5. moira Senior Member

Catalonia, Spain
    spanish, catalan (Spain)
    A quien corresponda,

Por medio de la presente, afirmo que __________ me va a acompañar durante mi viaje a España en el mes de agosto de este año. Estaré a cargo de todos los gastos, previstos e imprevistos, de dicho viaje. Asumo responsabilidad total de todos los gastos, necesidades, y por supuesto bienestar de dicha persona durante el viaje.

Les saludo atentamente,

¿Qué es una apostilla?
    Una apostilla es un sello especial que estampa una autoridad para certificar que un documento es una copia verdadera de un original. Las apostillas están disponibles en los países que firmaron el Convenio de la Haya sobre la Eliminación del Requisito de la Legalización de Documentos Públicos Extranjeros, popularmente conocido como el Convenio de La Haya.
    Más información aqui: http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/s/preguntas/apostilla.html

6. dondinero Junior Member

Muchas gracias moira.
    I have changed my letter accordingly. ;)

7. dondinero Junior Member

Oh, and thx for the info on the "apostillada." I had no idea. I am going to FedEx an original copy though, so I don't it think it applies. Thanks again.

8. x-aaa Senior Member

Spain
    Apostilla is not only to certify a copy but also for a document to be recognized in another country. Look this link (www+

state.gov/m/a/auth/c1267.htm

What they probably want you to do is to notarize and apostille the letter; in any case, maybe it would be better to call the consulate and ask them the details.