1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Carta de Recomendación / letter of reference / letter of recommendation

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Gallolastra, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Gallolastra New Member

Tlalnepantla, Estado de México, México.
    México-Español (Spanish)
    ¿La tradución de la frase "Carta de Recomendación" es tan sencilla como "Recommendation Letter"? No se porque siento que algo esta mal de esa traducción...Gracias de antemano por su ayuda.

2. marget Senior Member

We say: "letter of recommendation".

3. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    No sé porque, pero por mí me suena mejor con las palabras al revés. Es decir "Letter of recommendation"

4. xoxo Senior Member

México, Español
    How do you say in English "carta de recomendación" you know, like when you want to look for another job and you ask your boss to give to you a letter saying that you´re a good worker, responsible etc....

5. EVAVIGIL

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain / Spanish
    Es Reference letter / References.
    Saluditos.
    EVA

6. "Letter of recommendation" - "Since I quit my last job, I was too embarrassed to ask my old boss for a letter of recommendation."

In my new job, they didn't even ask for any references, nor letters of recommendation.

7. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    [SIZE=-1]Letter of Recommendation

[/SIZE]Sample Letters of Recommendation

[SIZE=-1]Sample librarian recommendation. To whom it may concern:. This letter provides me the opportunity to recommend my Assistant Director, Jennifer Alistair, ...
    www.boxfreeconcepts.com/reco/sample.html - 44k - Cached - Similar pages[/SIZE] Letter of Recommendation Guide

[SIZE=-1]Step by step guide to writing a letter of recommendation.
    www.boxfreeconcepts.com/reco/ - 52k

Los links son para mi amiga Eva. kidding..
    [/SIZE]

8. naughtybiscuit Senior Member

Ciudad Real, Espana
    England / English
    I would simply say "reference", as in "I was too embarassed to ask my old boss for a reference" - but only if your translation is for British English readers. Otherwise I would go with Aparejador's suggestion, everyone would understand that (even if it sounds a little bit weird to British ears)

9. EVAVIGIL

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain / Spanish
    Thank you, Naughtybiscuit, for agreeing.
    I have been living and working in London, and never heard about Letters of Recommendation.
    EVA

10. EVAVIGIL

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain / Spanish

Gracias.;)
    (A mí también me gusta esa canción de Kansas...)
    EVA

11. jinti

jinti Senior Member

For me, a reference can be either a letter or just willingness to talk with a potential employer.

For instance, your résumé might have a section called References, with the names and contact information of anyone willing to say you walk on water, leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc. These people have not necessarily all provided letters of recommendation for you, however.

12. In the U.S. 'references' would be a short list of people, and their contact information, who wouldn't mind saying something nice about you to your new boss.

A letter of recommendation would be an actual letter, written beforehand, that one of your references has written for you, Or if not written beforehand, is a letter that they actually write, when it is asked of them.

13. tatis Senior Member

USA
    Spanish, México
    ¿Cómo se dice en español? ¿Carta de recomendación o carta de referencia?

Gracias.

14. silasdeane Senior Member

Spanish
    Carta de recomendación.

Si te refieres a una carta que otra persona, generalmente de mayor rango o prestigio, escribe recomendandote para un puesto o empleo.

15. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Letter of recommendation.

16. tatis Senior Member

USA
    Spanish, México

17. chicledementa Senior Member

España castellano
    Hola a todos!

si fuera un profesor el que escribe la carta, también se diría "letter of recommendation"?? Necesito pedir una y no sé cómo llamarla.

18. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Sí, se dice letter of recommendation en este caso también.