1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Carta de soltería

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Mrs.Raven, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Mrs.Raven

Mrs.Raven Junior Member

Español-Venezuela
    En Venezuela suele pedirse esta constancia antes de casarse para asegurar que la persona no se ha casado antes. Cual sería el equivalente en EE.UU.? Y en ingles, obviamente. Gracias!

2. henapen Senior Member

English - England
    no sé si existe, por lo menos en Inglaterra, pero sería "certificate of spinsterhood" supongo...

3. jinti

jinti Senior Member

As far as I can remember, when I got married (in the Catholic church), I just had to sign a statement in front of the priest attesting to the fact that I had not been married before. There was no real certificate -- just my word.

A Catholic church in California provides this (at http://www.stjamesparish.org/marriage3.htm):

Letters of Freedom (forms provided by the parish)
    This is a sworn statement, witnessed by a Priest, minister or notary public, attesting that you have never been married before, in either a Church or civil ceremony, and that there is no known impediment to the marriage. Parents normally fill this out, or others who have known you most or all of your life may complete it. Two witnesses are required for each party to the marriage.

Outside the Catholic church, I don't think there is any such thing. To remarry, of course, you must show your divorce certificate or your spouse's death certificate, but that is another matter.

4. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    When you get married in the UK, whether it is a state or a church ceremony, there is a line which runs something like this: "Does anyone here know of any reason why these present shouldn't be legally married?" There is then a pause, people look at each other in silence and the ceremony continues.

5. Mrs.Raven

Mrs.Raven Junior Member

Español-Venezuela
    Well this document must be obtained before the ceremony. Two close friends (no relative) appear with me in the Registry Office and ensure I've never been married before.
    Anyway, I think the most accurate translation would be letter of freedom (and what a name by the way! as if marriage would be some kind of prison) Thanks for your help!

6. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Jajaja :) It's really "freedom to marry". Maybe that would be a clearer way to translate it: letter/affidavit/statement of freedom to marry

7. Mrs.Raven

Mrs.Raven Junior Member

Español-Venezuela
    Much better!;)

8. malsina52 New Member

Caracas
    English
    Hi everyone!

I know I'm a few years late with a translation for this term, but how about "certificate of unmarried status"? Congratulations to all for this wonderful site.

9. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    I like that idea, and wonder whether you could make it a bit more idiomatic - certificate of bachelorhood (for a man) or spinsterhood (for a woman)? It sounds mad and eccentric but to my mind, so does the Spanish.

10. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
  11. malsina52 New Member

Caracas
    English
    I did a little bit of research, and apparently this document isn´t required in the U.S. However, almost all other countries such as mine (Venezuela) require this certificate before a couple can marry.

Other terms for it are Certificate of Coutume (how quaint!), Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Single Status Statutory Declaration, or Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.

I conclude that there is no "correct" translation for it, so take your pick let's not agonize over it!

Saludos y féliz comienzo de semana y de mes para todos.

12. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    It's not a normal requirement of marriage in the UK either, at any rate not between UK nationals.

13. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    It is a very common requirement if British nationals marry outside the UK and has to be applied for from the CFO.