1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

carta poder simple

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Tiger's Eye, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Tiger's Eye

Tiger's Eye Senior Member

Georgia, USA
    English - US
    I understand that "carta poder" is a power of attorney, in most circumstances, as thoroughly explained in other threads. My question is: what happens when it is followed by "simple?"

Does that make it a "simple power of attorney?" :confused:

2. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
    A "power of Attorney: is 'simple' in itself (redundante)
    However, it's important to say that most Spanish legal systems come from Roman model (italian); the English ones follow another school of legal thought.

For instance, in Spanish world there are some important differences when you say "poder simple" (simple procedure) or "poder notarial" (legal procedure). Please check on this link.

3. Tiger's Eye

Georgia, USA
    English - US
    So should I translate the "simple" as well or just leave it out? I don't like leaving things out, but I don't want to be redundant...

4. Tiger's Eye

Georgia, USA
    English - US
    I checked the link. I'll leave it as "simple power of attorney." Mil gracias!!

5. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    There are General Powers of Attorney, Special Powers of Attorney, Springing Powers of Attorney, and Durable Powers of Attorney. Each has a different legal consequence. I have never heard of a "Simple" Power of Attorney.

What powers is the POA granting?
    When do the powers begin?
    When do the powers end?

With that information, it might be possible to figure out what "simple" means.