casas de sopas

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by reka39, Apr 18, 2014.

1. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Hi, I found the following sentence : 'a demonstrar que os portugueses não passam sem a sua sopa está o êxito que as casas de sopas têm tido; casas, cujo prato principal é a sopa em boa quantidade e a fumegar'. What does 'casas de sopas' mean? Thanks.

2. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    A restaurant or eating house where soup is served as the main dish.

3. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you. Is that something of the past or can I can still meet them in Lisbon, for example? Moreover, what can you tell me about the meaning of 'o êxito que as casas de sopas têm tido'? Thank you.

4. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I can't answer the first question, because I haven't been to Portugal in a long time. :( As for the meaning, maybe: "the success these 'soup places' are achieving".

5. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    In Portugal, nowadays, lots of people take soup as lunch, complemented by a sandwich or some snack. There are shops like "Loja das Sopas" in several malls.

6. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Last time I was in Lisbon, there was one such soup place on the food court of "Armazéns do Chiado" mall (at the bottom of Garrett street).

7. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Wow! I went there several times and I have never realized there was a restaurant like that!

8. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you, so in this case ter means to achieve. Obrigada.

9. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    They are not realy restaurants, they are more like fast food shops.