1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

casillero judicial

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Michifita, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Michifita Junior Member

Spanish
    Hola, estoy haciendo una traduccion legal, y hay algunos términos que no encuentro, ¿me podrían ayudar por favor?

* [FONT=&quot]presentó [/FONT]en la oficina de sorteos y casilleros judiciales una demanda por nulidad de testamento.....

filed in the office of drawings and judicial mailboxes a lawsuit for will nullity.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Don Joaquin Escriche Senior Member

New York
    English (US), Spanish (Arg)
    Según el autor Thomas West (Spanish-English Dictionary of Law and Business), casillero judicial tiene dos acepciones: 1. (Mex) criminal record [also called antecedentes penales] 2. (Ecu) room in the courthouse where attorney's mailboxes are locates.

Dicho autor asímismo nos brinda los siguiente:
    sorteo 1. random selection 2. sweepstakes
    sorteo de asuntos distribution of caseloads [to various judges]

3. Michifita Junior Member

Spanish
    Gracias, Don Joaquin Escriche por su ayuda.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. David Senior Member

I believe that "sorteo", as applied to the assignment of cases to individual judges at random, an attempt to avoid "judge-shopping," refers to the use of a "tombola" or other means of random selection. This process is called in English
    "assignment by lots," whether used in the context of a court or for example in selecting the members of a company's initial Board of Directors who will serve respectively for 1, 2, or 3 years, their names being drawn at random "from a hat."

The use of "casillero" in Ecuador is facinating. I always thought the "cuarto de casilleros" is where the football team kept their smelly uniforms and dirty shoes in their lockers, "casilleros."