1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. laraf189 Junior Member

USA, English
    How do you say "Castle keeper" or "keeper of the castle" in French? The word in English is '[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Castellan'[/FONT]

2. Broff Senior Member

Maryland
    French
    I think you would simply say:

Gardien du Château

3. veryshy Senior Member

CASABLANCA
    Morocco/ Arabic
    Le possesseur de la tour ! Maybe!

4. Wunibald Senior Member

Paris, France
    English
    Strange to say that I've never heard of a castle keeper in English, but I've often heard of a chatelain in French. I'm not sure if it's the same thing

5. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    The English Wikipedia article says "
    In France, castellans (known in French as Châtelains) who governed castles without resident nobles acquired considerable powers, and the position actually became a hereditary fiefdom."

6. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    If you refer to the lord of the castle, châtelain would fit your request.

7. Bunnicula

Bunnicula Senior Member

USA English
    I'm not a native French speaker but I'm fairly well-schooled in medieval European hist. I would say that, while the literal meaning of châtelain is an inhabitant of a castle and so would certainly include the lord, it would almost always be preferable to use seingeur to mark his status. Châtelain, on the other hand, is used to designate a high-ranking serviteur who is charged with "keeping the castle" in the absence of the seigneur. Such a person could be a landless noble. During the Crusades, their charge might last for years and include some measure of authority over the family of the seigneur, as well. Some nobles chose to grant this authority to the lady of the manor rather than risk usurpation by the chatelain. The word can be used without accent in English.