1. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    I caught a ride downtown with my cousin.

¿Traducción? Gracias de antemano.

T. M.

2. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    I'm not a Spanish speaker, but here are my attempts. They are not exactly what you were asking for; they both mean "my cousin gave me a ride downtown":

Mi primo me llevó al centro.
    Mi primo me dio raite al centro. (Spanglish)

Wait for replies from native Spanish speakers.

3. Zap Brannigan

Zap Brannigan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Argentina, español
    ¡Hola! I caught a ride downtown with my cousin. means that my cousin gave me a ride downtown? or that we took a ride together?

4. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Me agarré una ra-i-duh.

Well, that's what many Mexicans say around here.

5. pollofrito Senior Member

Mexico City
    Mexico - Español
    En español de la Ciudad de México:
    "mi primo me dio un aventón al Centro".

Significa que mi primo tiene coche y me llevó a donde yo necesitaba. O al menos me acercó al lugar donde yo necesitaba ir.

6. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    It means "my cousin gave me a ride in his car". It implies that your cousin already intended to go downtown (without you...for some reason of his/her own), and that you asked if s/he would do you a favor and let you ride in the car, too. "We took a ride together" implies that the ride was an event that you shared together.

I hope this is clear. If not, let me know.

7. Zap Brannigan

Zap Brannigan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Argentina, español
    Muchas gracias gdmarcus, ya me quedó claro. Entonces podría ser:

Mi primo me llevó al centro.
    Mi primo me dio un aventón al Centro.
    Mi primo me llevó en auto hasta el centro.

¡Saludos!

8. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    Thanks, I know what it means. I just don't know how to say it best in Spanish. Somehow it seems that "I caught a ride with my cousin" means I was somewhat assertive about it. Not just that he up and gave me a ride. (I think.)

GDMarcus's explanation seems to grasp the idea: "It implies that your cousin already intended to go downtown (without you...for some reason of his/her own), and that you asked if s/he would do you a favor and let you ride in the car, too."

I was thinking it might be "Cogí un aventón con mi primo..." o algo por el estilo.

9. Fantasmagórico

Fantasmagórico Senior Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguayan Spanish
    But what country are you aiming at? Here you have two more options:

Uruguay: "mi primo me arrimó"
    Venezuela: "mi primo me dio la cola" (but don't say this in Uruguay, as a horrible misunderstanding would result).

10. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    Fantasmagórico poses a good question...what country are you aiming at? I would not use an expression containing "coger" with Mexicans, for example.