1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

caucus (verbo)

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Soledad Medina, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Soledad Medina Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Cuba, Espanol
    The Precint Caucases will be called to order by the Precint Chair after the last person who intends to caucus has voted in the Primary.

Mi pobre intento:

Las Asambleas de los Recintos darán comienzo por orden del Presidente del Recinto después que la última persona que ??? ???? ha votado en las primarias.

Amigos, hoy estoy más bruta que nunca y los términos legales me dan escalofríos. Agradeceré toda la ayuda que puedan brindarme.
    SM

2. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Hola. Yo tampoco había visto ''caucus'' (Asamblea Partidista) como verbo. En tu contexto lo único que se me ocurre es:

...una vez que (luego de que) la última persona, que se propone participar en la mencionada Asamblea, haya votado en las Primarias..

*Precinct en este caso se refiere a ''Distrito Electoral''*

Saludos.

3. Soledad Medina Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Cuba, Espanol
    Como siempre, mi querido y admirado Cubanboy, eres un genio..., me inclino ante ti y me quito el sombrero.
    Un abrazo agradecido.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  4. Natalia1 Junior Member

California, USA
    Spanish-Mexico
    I'm reading this book; "Reasonable Doubt" by P. Friedman, and in a part where they are in the middle of trial, the defense "asks for 10 minutes and they went down the hall to caucus". First time I've seen it as a verb, and I would translate is as "deliberar". So I'm thinking that as a verb it could be used as " presentar" (que presenta un tema en una asamblea), deliberar, quizá conferenciar. Hope it helps.

5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    A caucus (noun) is a conference of leaders of an organization (such as a party or a legislature) to decide on policies, plans, and candidates. It also refers to a meeting of party members to choose candidates or delegates. Such conferences or meetings are usually private.

To caucus (verb) means to meet in a caucus.

The term "caucus" is used outside of the political context to refer to meetings that are like caucuses of politicians.

6. Natalia1 Junior Member

California, USA
    Spanish-Mexico
    Thank you Ricardo, I saw it in the dictionary as: "a meeting of party members within a legislative body to select leaders and determine strategy", (among other definitions) so I thought that "deliberar" would be appropiate.
    Do you aprove of my translation?

7. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    In English, "to deliberate" means to think carefully about something and the consequences and often with formal discussion before reaching a decision. This is exactly what we hope a jury will do, and we usually refer to what the jury does in the jury room as deliberations. To the extent that deliberar does not have the same meaning as the meaning I cited above, it could work.

But "deliberate" would not work in the political context. When you think of politicians getting together in a back room to come up with a strategy (that is, caucasing), do you think of them deliberating? A caucus is usually considered to be more emotional, less thoughtful (particularly in the context of the book passage that you cited).

My dictionary suggests reunirse as a translation of "to caucus" in this context.

8. Natalia1 Junior Member

California, USA
    Spanish-Mexico
    ¡Muchas gracias, Ricardo!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. mewilson Senior Member

I, too, have been confused by the use of 'caucus' as a verb and not in a political context. I have heard it in mediations where the mediator might say something like "I want to caucus with each one of you for about ten minutes." In this context, it is just an (unnecessarily) exotic way of saying "to speak in private" or "to speak separately" with someone. So, "hablar a solas con alguien" or "hablar en privado con alguien" might work.

Saludos.

10. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    I agree. It is fancy talk. Most of my clients are ordinary people, and I doubt if they would understand it. I think it's better to say "meet privately" or "speak privately."