cause (divorce)

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by isabel..., Feb 24, 2013.

1. isabel... Senior Member

Perú
    Spanish
    • Hola, estoy traduciendo una acta de divorcio y aparece el término cause. He encontrado estas definiciones en inglés, pero no sé cuál encaja mejor en mi texto, además necesito un equivalente preciso. ¿Podría ser litigio?
      a matter to be resolved in a court of law:forty-five causes were entered in the list for the March session
    • an individual’s case offered at law:the rule that no man should be a judge in his own cause
      Oración: This cause being presented for deermination, testimony having been taken before the undersigned Family Division Master od this court (...).

Muchas gracias,

2. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Cause here is used in the sense of cause of action. So it means "case" in the sense of a court case.

3. IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    México Lindo y Querido - Español
    No es una Acta de Divorcio, sino un Certificado de Divorcio? Raro.

La respuesta es fácil.

Razón, Motivo o Causa del Divorcio...

Saludos.

4. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    I see that I didn't read carefully and mistakenly thought that some of the text from the proffered definition was part of the court order. So my answer was correct as to the meaning of "cause" in forty-five causes were entered in the list for the March sessio, but that does not answer the question posed.

The correct answer (IMO) is that there is not enough context to give a reliable answer.