1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. amzylou Senior Member

England, English
    Hi,
    I have no idea what this word means I have looked it up in the dictionary, and it suggests "security bonds" this is the context "Pour les etudiants etrangers se pose le probleme de cautionnement". Thanks!

2. NewYorkAngel Senior Member

Mars - Native language:English
    Is it about someone giving them a deposit?? (to rent a flat for example or to ensure the cost of their studies...)
    Pour les étudiants étrangers se pose le problème de la caution / d'avoir quelqu'un qui se porte garant pour eux.
    We need a bit more context I think.

3. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    It's probably a reference to the 'caution', the two or three months' rent that tenants must pay landlords, as a guarantee; it's reimbursable, theoretically. The alternative is a guarantee by the parents, but usually French landlords insist guarantors be French residents with a French bank.

4. amzylou Senior Member

England, English
    The sentence after it is "Sur le marche prive locatif certain proprietaires demandent le paiement par avance de neif mois de loyer, ce qui est illegal" I am not sure what it is referring to exactly, the article is about students sharing accommodation in France! Sorry I can't offer more context!

5. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    It's the 'caution', the guarantee payment. Some landlords demand an advance payment of nine months' rent, which is illegal.

6. NewYorkAngel Senior Member

This is it then, the money someone can give in advance for them, so it would be 'la caution', 'les mois d'avance'
    Pour les étudiants étrangers se pose le problème d'avoir quelqu'un qui se porte garant pour eux et donnent la caution / l'argent pour les loyers d'avance.

7. NewYorkAngel Senior Member

'donne' not 'donnent, sorry guys!

8. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Yes, in France it is about who will counter-sign a lease for you if you are not independently employed and can prove your income.

You can have your parents from overseas provide this but they will have to do it in French and get it notarized (I have done it for my daughter living in Paris). Contact me privately if you want some tips!

9. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français

Wildan1 is right again - here cautionnement means someone - e.g. your parents - have to stand surety for you. Not the deposit meaning.