Ce înseamnă "marfă tare"?

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by Denny Persan, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Buna

e marfă tare che seamna ?

Denny

2. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hi,
    Where did you hear it?

3. e numele o/on musica.

(Moderator's correction): E numele/titlul unui cântec

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Well,
    It can mean "very cool" and it is not standard language.

5. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    I fixed the title of your post and corrected the spelling. When in doubt it's better to ask your questions in a language you're more familiar with to ensure we understand what you're asking and to allow other people - interested in the same topic - to follow the discussion.

As irinet said, marfă tare it's a slang expression for "very cool" or even "cool shit" in the AmE way.

Later,

6. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hello,
    I didn't know of the last one, can you, please, give me an example? It seems very interesting because we have 'marfă' as 'cool' and 'tare' (adv./intensifier) as 'very'(id.) while the Am.E. has the 's..t' word. It sounds derogatory to me.
    I suppose it doesn't work within a song title?!
    Thank you, farscape!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    It's not being used in a derogatory way, rather it's meant as slang to show how "cool" things are. The Urban Dictionary has a decent explanation here:

"Cool shit: Some item, event or form of entertainment that is particularly interesting. More so than anything else one has ever seen."

Later,

8. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Thank you, farscape. I was just curious about it.
    I also appreciate the 'derogatory' correction.

9. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    I was thinking twice of this slangy expression and I would like to mention some peculiarities regarding the use.
    It's interesting to observe that we admiringly say: "Ce tare/marfă!" or "Marfă/Tare!" or "E tare/marfă/ marfă tare" ( probably the equivalent to "cool shit"), and not "Ce marfă tare!". I am thinking that this happens just because "marfă tare" functions as a whole unit semantically, meaning something is 'extraordinary'. To this context, I am positive that 'marfă' acts as an adjective. It has to be so. Then, what role (conversion?) is 'ce' playing here?
    I realise that this is a new question, however it seems natural not to be moved for keeping the topic fluid since the question is derivative.

10. Thank you guys , you are always helpfu.

11. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    You mean something like this? :)

- "Ce mirare că ești, ce-ntâmplare că sunt!"
    - Ce bine/frumos/simplu(...)!
    - Ce marfă!

I think that this is another topic indeed :D Shall we play?

Ce
    is an adverbial pronoun (in this case) turning the preceeding adverb or adjective into a superlative (cât de...). If that's the case, ce marfă tare! sounds to me a bit like ce extraordinar/nemaipomenit! which is wrong. But the noun marfă misleads us into thinking that's ok - see Nicu Alifantis' line I qouted above.

Best,

12. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    That's what I said but I might not follow you though your examples are splendid.
    Is there or not conversion?
    I see "mirare" and "întâmplare" as nouns.
    In fact, the idea is that 'marfă' is to be found as noun in standard language but, while moving to slang and changing tone, it is conversed to an adjective similar to 'cool'. I can think of 'beton' (=concrete) similarly.

13. picolecomandante New Member

English-Romanien
    Hello,
    It's really a song title "by singer Alex Velea - It's hard stuff" .... but listening to this song the phrase "it's hard goods" means "it's the most fun" or the phrase "it's a lot of noise" within the meaning of the lyrics "there's noise / and nobody sleeps"

(from a subsequent post):

here the word "merchandise(marfa)" means "party" and the word "strong(tare)" sense of "success"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. dezea New Member

French - France
    Depending of the context, "marfă tare" can also mean "hard drugs" or "good stuff".. as picolecomandate has written before me, "marfă" also means "marchandise" which is often associated in english with drugs.

15. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hello again,
    I have got a question, though. Since I am so proud of Simona Halep' extraordinary performance, I would like to ask you if the Roland Garros Final could be "very cool" or "cool shit"?
    I would say that the game was "marfă tare de tot"!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  16. dezea New Member

French - France
    Yes, this can work very well... even though you could simply use "marfă de tot".

17. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Yes, but I was referring to "cool shit" instead.

18. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    Sigur că da, poţi să te exprimi şi aşa, dar atunci am putea spune, poţi să te exprimi şi "în halu' ălă". :)

Trimite-mi un PM pentru detalii, dar hai să ne oprim aici pentru că ai deschis o discuţie nouă ;)

f.