1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

celebrar un homenaje por todo lo alto

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by butterflygirl, Nov 13, 2007.

1. butterflygirl Junior Member

Spain Spanish
    Hello!

Una vez más solicito vuestra colaboración en la traducción de la siguiente expresión en inglés.

"Espero que se celebre un homenaje por todo lo alto" He intentado hacer una traducción a mi estilo, pero al ser tan corta no me sale nada bien.

Muchas gracias por anticipado

2. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    I hope that we hold a tribute for everyone on top. (I'm not sure about "on top" without more context.) Or (more natural), " I hope we pay tribute to those on top."

3. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    Sin contexto yo diría...

I hope they will pay homage/honor to all that is good.

What was your intent?

Saludos.

4. catcherndarye Junior Member

Florida, U.S.
    Colombia, Spanish
    "I hope there is/we hold a grand/great tribute" ... but you really need to provide us more context if you want a better translation.

5. butterflygirl Junior Member

Spain Spanish
    Qué rapidez!! Gracias por estar ahí.
    El contexto es que se celebra el aniversario de la muerte de una persona de gran valor social y en el discurso de una carta a sus descendientes para felicitarles les comentabamos que esperabamos que se celebrara un homenaje por todo lo alto en su pais.

Ese es el contexto, no sé si será de ayuda.

Gracias otra vez

6. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    "Pay tribute/honor/homage to him especially in his country".... es el significado....

por lo alto = at best

Saludos.

7. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    "Pay special tribute to him in his country." To me that sounds better than "pay tribute to him specially". Just my opinion.

8. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    I agree in in the sense of your translation , but I was staying true to the original by translating "por todo lo alto"

por todo lo alto means to me.. at best/especially

"esperabamos que se celebrara un homenaje por todo lo alto en su país." we hoped that there would be a tribute_ _ _ _ _ in his country.

Or is "por todo lo alto" just special??

9. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    Well the difference to me is this. If you say, "...special tribute in his country." It means the tribute would be a special event or something grand. If you say, "...pay tribute to him especially in his country." It means we hope they pay tribute to him and we especially hope they do it in his own country." So, I'm not sure what the original Spanish version is trying to say. I'm curious now!

10. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    My question is because of the placement of the phrase in the sentence...

"por todo lo alto.... en su país"

11. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    You are probably right. "por lo alto" probably means "above all" so then it would be, "We hope they pay tribute/homage to him above all (especially) in his own country." I have been known to misunderstand Spanish sentences a time or two so....yeah. Anyway, we both agree that it is pay homage/tribute so at least there is that.

12. When the cat's away... Senior Member

Spain - English
    I know this probably comes late, but "por todo lo alto" doesn't mean above all, or specially - well, special, in a way. It means the opposite of "no-frills", if you get the meaning. A celebration where nothing can be considered "too much" - it knows no bounds. Therefore, a fairly accurate translation would have been:
    "...to celebrate the date of his death with a homage that knew no bounds."

13. FRAGUA

FRAGUA Senior Member

"I hope there is/we hold a top-notch tribute ..."